Oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
How often should I check my oil? I usually do it every couple months, and it doesn’t seem to change much, but I hardly drive it. Should o check more often?
Use your judgement on this one chief. Drive/run it a lot, check frequently. Rarely start it and drive it, check it before use. I generally check oil level when I get gas in personal vehicles or once a week for the daily use vehicles.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It really depends on the vehicle. Check it more often until you get a feel for it's usage... on a daily driver. If it's rarely used, just check it before being driven, I guess.

With my old Saturn, I filled up the oil, and checked the gas. I have to check the oil on my truck quite often. It's used oil since new, which I've heard is common for big blocks.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
It really depends on the vehicle. Check it more often until you get a feel for it's usage... on a daily driver. If it's rarely used, just check it before being driven, I guess.

With my old Saturn, I filled up the oil, and checked the gas. I have to check the oil on my truck quite often. It's used oil since new, which I've heard is common for big blocks.
My '95 with the 454 has used a touch over 1qt in about 3000 miles and a year. My old '99 k1500 used 1qt in 1k miles before getting parked with nearly 300k on it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
2+ quarts every 5,000 here on the 1500 and zero intent on rebuilding. Been that way for about as long as I can remember. Just clicked past 300,000 a month or so ago. Ironically I think that's all the dually burns, but it's almost never empty. That one's a peach. I wouldn't be trying to "fix" anything on your truck OP, unless you're already in there for something else.