Vortec 5.7 stumbles and backfires without giving and check engine codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also this cap and rotor are only 2 yrs old with about 5000 miles worth of driving.
If its a cheap parts store unit or a crappy Delco piece, I wouldn't rule it out as being bad. In the 24 years we have had my 97, nothing but problems when I tried Delco ignition parts.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also this has no emissions. No egr or rear O2. Plus they are tuned out of the computer.
So should be able to rule out a plugged cat or bad egr.

Does the engine make any extra mechanical noise on the upper end? Like a collapsed lifter, flat lobe, broken rocker stud, broken spring?

jaxcob

Reaction score
I know you said your fuel pressure was fine, just wanted to chime in that the symptoms sound like they're mimicking the ones i had when my fuel pressure regulator went out. I didn't ever get the opportunity to test the pressure but after a new maf, plugs, wires, temp sender, I dug back into the intake and swapped the regulator and that fixed it.

Last edited:

LilWee247

Reaction score
So with the fuel pressure, I only checked at the valve before the intake. Could the regulator be dropping pressure after that point as to affect the injection?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So with the fuel pressure, I only checked at the valve before the intake. Could the regulator be dropping pressure after that point as to affect the injection?
No, but was the engine idling or under load when you tested the pressure?

LilWee247

Reaction score
I did both while having the gauge on the windshield so I could see changes. That all looked fine to me.