Vortec 5.7 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spode

Reaction score
Ok, guys I've been lurking for almost two years now since I picked up my 97 K1500 Z71 just to have something to haul stuff. Truck had 280K miles on it and I picked it up for $1400, with a fresh transmission. Very first step was replacing the A/C. Since then just tried to make the interior a little more respectable. New Seat Covers, New Carpet,Stereo and pulled the ext cab seat to give inside hauling space. Up to 306K now truck runs great, but does have low oil pressure at idle. Sure it is bearing wear with this mileage. My son who just turned 15 has decided its what he wants for his first vehicle. Together we have done a few more things in the last few months. Changed 4x4 switch (wore out), installed LEDs in dash, installed interior LED lights, and LED under body rock lights along with a nice set of rocker switches for anything else to come. A lift and paint will be in the future, but first step in getting truck ready for him is going to be getting a motor in place that will last him many more years.

I've tossed around doing a LS swap but think we both want to stick with the 5.7 Vortec. Again, I've been doing lots of reading, but this will be my first rebuild. I have someone with the technical ability to help, but the Vortec knowledge is definitely here.

So here is my starting point for rebuild this winter. Looking for any input or changes.

411 PCM swap (starting this now, with existing motor)

Get current block bored
LT4 Hot Cam (Summit sells "kit" with 1.6 roller rockers and different springs, it sounds like this entire kit is good, I know everyone likes the cam and rockers, would like to confirm these are right springs)
Rods will have to measure to be certain, but sounds like they will need to be a little shorter (7.4" common)
Pistons Flat Top or D, Will the amount of bore make any determination in which may be better?
Will I want to do different thickness gasket?

I will most likely go with the Edelbrock Intake Manifold at the same time as the rebuild.

What am I missing?
Am I wasting money somewhere?

You must be registered for see images attach

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Welcome. Nothing beats a father son project.

Why the pcm swap? Do you have tuning software already?

Can you post a link to the cam and lifter kit? What makes you think you need different pushrods?

Your position selection should be made when you decide on the cam and the tune and its fuel requirements. Together with the gasket thickness and chamber volume of the heads and a few other measurements ,the piston profile determines your static compression ratio. You should want to keep this around 9 or 9.5 to 1, knowing higher value may make a bit more and I mean a bit more power, at the cost of octane required to keep the motor from pinging without having to detune (pull tming/add fuel) to the point of losing power. The vortec heads respond well to less quench and more CR, but do you want to have to burn premium fuel only. That is the question.

Which Edelbrock intake are you looking at?

Spode

Reaction score
Welcome. Nothing beats a father son project.

Why the pcm swap? Do you have tuning software already?

Can you post a link to the cam and lifter kit? What makes you think you need different pushrods?

Your position selection should be made when you decide on the cam and the tune and its fuel requirements. Together with the gasket thickness and chamber volume of the heads and a few other measurements ,the piston profile determines your static compression ratio. You should want to keep this around 9 or 9.5 to 1, knowing higher value may make a bit more and I mean a bit more power, at the cost of octane required to keep the motor from pinging without having to detune (pull tming/add fuel) to the point of losing power. The vortec heads respond well to less quench and more CR, but do you want to have to burn premium fuel only. That is the question.

Which Edelbrock intake are you looking at?

Just read the write ups with the PCM swap. Seems like if I'm going to do a cam, etc will get much better results with ability to tune. I don't have my own tuner or plan to get one, but would use local shop to do tuning. Also like the idea of having the ability to have dual tunes for towing.

Here is the cam kit I was thinking.

I'm having a hard time finding the edelbrock manifold now. I know it was pretty steep and seemed to be the only option. Read up on the marine intake swap, but don't think I want to do the custom work to make that work.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been there...

Was in the same boat not long ago. I opted to go with blueprint 383. I have a very similar cam but am at 5.14 with 6.1 roller rockers. Be careful in spring selection. I also was (am) seeking a good swap for the intake. Alot may depend on what your restrictions on emissions are. Some good choices with Edelbrocks Pro-Flo XT EFI or LT4, Weiand makes a Stealth Ram air, you can mount an LT1 on there, a marine vortec provided options. All of which were a lot more than I wanted to spend. You can fine them once in a while on craigs list or ebay if you keep looking. I opted to keep the POS intake, install larger injectors and put a spacer in. I would go with the 0411 as well. I had a tune on the black box and it was for $hit. Black bear for the money shot on a tune. I also stripped all the emissions stuff off.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not worth it to rebuild a 5.7 unless you're stroking it. You can get a new GMPP 5.7 Vortec longblock for $2000 to your door.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not worth it to rebuild a 5.7 unless you're stroking it. You can get a new GMPP 5.7 Vortec longblock for $2000 to your door.

It's worth it for the bonding project with his son
Enabling him to understand what it takes for a motor to run and what it takes to rebuild one after goofing off and messing one up from High revs and oil starves

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's there he's going to use it. Let's hope he doesn't goof up his hot rod into a telephone pole.

Spode

Reaction score
I definitely think it is worth it. I can pick up a fully rebuilt engine 15 minutes from my house for $1100 (about 1/2 of new). Or like Eskimo said, it gives my son and I something to work on and for still less than the $2000, will probably have a much better motor with improved cam, etc. I have thought about ordering a stroker but the price doesn't really work with the other items on the to do list before his birthday.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a dad to 2 boys, 4 and 5, they love trying to help with turning wrenches and even though they're still young they are learning how to use certain tools which is always good to know and it's worth the extra time and money to bond cuz they grow quick. Plus when you rebuild it you know what parts are inside the motor and not going off what someone says.

Spode

Reaction score
As a dad to 2 boys, 4 and 5, they love trying to help with turning wrenches and even though they're still young they are learning how to use certain tools which is always good to know and it's worth the extra time and money to bond cuz they grow quick. Plus when you rebuild it you know what parts are inside the motor and not going off what someone says.

I grew up riding dirt bikes, so always changing my own oil and wrenching on stuff. After moving from away from home, let a lot of that stuff go, so my son hasn't had much interest in any garage work until now. Pretty excited to see the interest and time he is willing to put in on "his" truck.