Vibration sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this but here we go. So at really high speeds 55-70 my truck just started generating a vibration/ scrapping sound. It doesn't affect my throttle response and when I down shifted to 3rd it was still there. Once I slow down to about 15-10 it stops. Could this be engine related or drive train? I just have no idea where to start since it's not a problem I can pin point to one area or part. Thanks in advance

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Narrow it down a little.

Does it change with engine speed?
Can you ride the brakes and make it stop or make it worse?
Can you push in clutch and make it stop or make worse?
Does sound change turning left or right?

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
So from what I can tell brakes don't stop it until I get under 15mph. Since it does it mainly at high speeds I can't really turn, I have tried to swerve a little and it still stays the same. I thought maybe something with my 4l60 but when I serviced it it was fine. No material or chunks in the bottom of the pan. This is why I'm stumped

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swerving side to side didnt stop it so that mostly rules out a wheel bearing.

Is the sound constant with speed? If it continues as you slow down but goes away at 15 mph or so, does the sound slow down as well? Or is it constant as you slow down the suddenly disappear.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Diagnosing a sound over the internet............ Almost impossible!!!

Is it something you can feel or can you just hear it?

Do you have a friend who may have put a big zip tie on your driveshaft? Did that to my buddy, he went nuts for weeks before I cut it off.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The closest I came to this sound was right after I bought truck, had a grinding noise that was intermittant. Turned out to be the pin between the rear brake slave cylinder and brake shoe. Found it when I replaced brakes.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
I can hear it more than feel it. My truck picks up everything with the leaf SAS so it's hard to feel things that are not suppose to happen. Looks like I'll just have to gamble and tear my front end down. And check it all. They are the stock wheel bearings since they looked good when I got the 60

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have someone ride along next to you and listen. Trade vehicles and you listen. Might be easier said than done, depending on how far North you happen to be.