Valve seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I think I put the seals on after I had the spring compressed. Then work the seal down over the stem then add the keepers.

Ken

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I put the seals on after I had the spring compressed. Then work the seal down over the stem then add the keepers.

Ken

I was trying to use the pry bar type compressor. I ended up having to get one of the screw down type compressors. The times I did this back in the 90’s we only used the pry bar type, but my dad was helping. Now I’m having to do by myself, I think that’s the difference.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting thing I found while finishing up the seals. I finished up on #2 exhaust valve. It had an intake type seal along with the o-ring. It was the only exhaust valve that had a seal. The engine looks to me like it had never been opened up before. Factory screwup?

kenh

Reaction score
Only on one valve? If so I'd yes factory mistake. How are the guides? Or are the heads still on the engine. Makes it a little tougher to determine guide wear.

Ken

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only on one valve? If so I'd yes factory mistake. How are the guides? Or are the heads still on the engine. Makes it a little tougher to determine guide wear.

Ken
It was only the one exhaust valve that had the positive intake type seal. I did it with heads on the motor.

kenh

Reaction score
Finished this project up yesterday. No more blue smoke so far. And it runs good so I must have got the valves adjusted correctly.

Wonderful!

FWIW. I run the adjusting nut down 1/2 turn from first contact. As of late some (around here anyway) are only going 1/4 turn. As long as nothing rattles I say you are good to go!

Ken

dzynda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to attempt this on my 2000 obs 454 1 ton. I assume there is not any different procedure then the 350? Should I consider changing the springs also?
The truck has nearly 300,000 miles, I have no history on the truck like engine replacement etc. other than carfax. It always starts right up and runs awesome, other then the embarrassing smog out. I bought it in 2018 and have done the lower and upper intake gaskets, new injectors, fuel rail, distributor, tune up.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to attempt this on my 2000 obs 454 1 ton. I assume there is not any different procedure then the 350? Should I consider changing the springs also?
The truck has nearly 300,000 miles, I have no history on the truck like engine replacement etc. other than carfax. It always starts right up and runs awesome, other then the embarrassing smog out. I bought it in 2018 and have done the lower and upper intake gaskets, new injectors, fuel rail, distributor, tune up.

From the factory, that valvetrain is not adjustable. But they are known to eat cams. Is yours ticking?

dzynda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the factory, that valvetrain is not adjustable. But they are known to eat cams. Is yours ticking?
I have done the heads on one of my other ones and I noticed that there is no adjustment. I bought comp cams roller tip rockers and the stud kit for it but was advised not to use them so I just put the stock ones back on it. I also noticed the push rods were somewhat clogged so I cleaned them out.
As of the ticking on this truck it's been sitting a while and about a quart low on oil so when I started it the other day yes. When I put a quart of oil into it no, I run them a little above the add mark on the dip stick not all the way up.
This truck is more or less one of my beater trucks, I don't plan on doing a cam. I just thought new springs may help while I'm in there doing the valve seals. Are you saying valve seals may not fix the smog on start up?

Last edited: