Un identified leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Undecided

Reaction score
Need help identifying a leak. The fluid is clear. I initially thought it was break fluid but it has no smell. Then I thought it was the Rancho 9000 xl fluid, but the leak would have to defy gravity. It is on the passenger side.
Here is a pic with the yellow circle showing where the fluid drips to the ground.
It’s a k2500 suburban that was treated with woolwax about a month ago and this little leak showed up about two weeks later.
I have been keeping an eye on the master cylinder and just recently put a piece of tape on it at the fluid level to see if there are any noticeable changes. I wish I would have done this sooner.

Attachments

• 4431C045-D092-40CD-87C9-6FB0AF613FF0.jpeg
    4431C045-D092-40CD-87C9-6FB0AF613FF0.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Need help identifying a leak. The fluid is clear. I initially thought it was break fluid but it has no smell. Then I thought it was the Rancho 9000 xl fluid, but the leak would have to defy gravity. It is on the passenger side.
Here is a pic with the yellow circle showing where the fluid drips to the ground.
It’s a k2500 suburban that was treated with woolwax about a month ago and this little leak showed up about two weeks later.
I have been keeping an eye on the master cylinder and just recently put a piece of tape on it at the fluid level to see if there are any noticeable changes. I wish I would have done this sooner.
Not trying to be a smart Alec but is it possible it’s just runoff woolwax? The fluid film cousin is sort of clear yellowish as well when the excess runs off.
If not looks like it could almost be gear lube from an axle seal or something like that. Keep an eye on fluid levels and that should give you an idea over time. Judging on the garage floor though there’s other drips around the area.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what "woolwax" is.

I'd suspect a gear lube leak, thrown off the seal at the end of the casting, where the CV flange pokes out of the housing.

The front axle doesn't hold much lube. If it leaks, it's in danger of running low. Verify the fluid level SOON. I would drain the lube, measure the amount, and compare to the recommended fill capacity.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put piece of clean cardboard or it and some white paper taped to it, slide it under then look at residue, smell and color. Gear lube stinks you know the smell. Use an inspection mirror, follow trail to source.

Undecided

Reaction score
Thanks to all that replied.
The garage floor has the residuals of the woolwax undercoating and some chicken poo. Here is a pic of the fluid on a piece of glass. No smell at all.

I continue to monitor the levels.

Attachments

• 2F4005BC-DB5F-4278-ADE8-6AF3F5CF35C0.jpeg
    2F4005BC-DB5F-4278-ADE8-6AF3F5CF35C0.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 10

Undecided

Reaction score
I’m going to drop the skid plate and check the fluid level in the diff and see if it is the same this evening. It’s too damn hot to go bow hunting.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you compare it to your recently " woolly" what coating ? Is that coating clear, transparent?