Un identified leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PAG oil stinks too.

What does it feel like?
Looks like ac condensation to me :shrug:

Undecided

Reaction score
PAG oil stinks too.

What does it feel like?
Looks like ac condensation to me :shrug:
It has an oily feel to it and does not evaporate. It is there weather or not I am using my AC.
No smell at all.

I’m going to check the front dif fluid level tomorrow when I have time.

HGKx

Reaction score
...and the truck-style fluid for G80 differentials is supposed to smell like "grape juice".

Unrelated question per say, but I my truck is equipped with the G80 package.

I just did my differential fluid in front and rear.

I used this Gear Oil: https://www.autozone.com/greases-an...rformance-80w-90-gear-oil-1-gallon/972913_0_0

Now, with having the G80, did I need to add a Gear Oil with Limited Slip additives or anything like that?

Thanks for the assistance, you've helped me on numerous threads!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That particular Valvoline gear lube has NO friction modifier blended in at the bottler.

I don't know if the "grape juice" fluid has friction modifier or not. GM's bulletin was surprisingly vague and ambiguous about that. GM does tell you to not add MORE friction modifier, but not whether the specified fluid already has some--or not.

For whatever it matters, my 9.5" ring gear G80 axle assembly also has fluid with NO friction modifier, and none added afterwards. When I did use fluid with friction modifier blended-in at the bottler, my G80 essentially quit working. MAYBE this is because it's got a heap of miles on it, and it's just plain worn-out. It seems a little better now that the fluid has been changed twice since then with fluid having NO modifier in it.