Tweaking and tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwchevyguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks to help from you guys I got my new speakers and amp installed. Special thanks to T Dog for the suggestions on the Alpine 610's. They sound awesome.

I have run into one issue with my sub. I have one MTX 10 in a proform box under the back seat that for years was powered by a MTX 250 amp. When I first got it 12 or so years ago it sounded awesome. Well, along the way I blew out that 10 and replaced it with the closest match that I could find for that box. This 10 never sounded quite as good as that first one though. Well, last week I replaced the MTX250 with a Boston Acoustics GTA704 so I could run my new fronts off of one side and the sub off the other. It still sounds good, but it's different. It seems more muddy and sometimes muffled. On some songs it almost sounds like the kick drum is behind the beat.

Any ideas on how to clean it up? Is it a tuning issue with my amp? Where should my crossover be set? Down the road I may replace the box and sub with another, but I don't have the money for that now.

Thanks.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your ohm load changed ... need more info on the amps to tell the difference ...
General rule ... unless you have a FIVE channel amp with a specific sub channel, subs need to be on a completely different amp than your mids and highs ...
you seem to have cut your input signal in half and /or maybe not have bridged your new amp ...

its also possible the you switched out a class D amp out for a class AB amp ... major difference here ...
easy fix, but i need to know ALOT more about your setup ... and links to the info of the amps if possible ...

on a side note ... come to the meetup in Memphis on the 26th !!! We can give you TONS of ideas and suggestions on Car audio ...

here is the thread with the info ... http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?8683-Meetup-in-Southhaven-Ms-Memphis-Tn-...-Feb-26th

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065GTA704/Boston-Acoustics-GTA-704.html?tp=115
I'm sorry to say this ... but completely the wrong amp for sub duty ... However, this is perfect for mids and highs !!! Very nice amp ...

My suggestion ... get you a matching mono block amp for your subs ... (Boston Acoustics will be fine, and will kick ass) ... just need the correct model for the subs ...

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This amp has a seperate control for subs. Why would they do that if it's the wrong amp for a sub?
Thats a sound quality Class AB amp ... can't go lower than 4 ohms mono like the mtx did ... It will work, but like I said ... just alot more to it ...
class D monoblocks are just easier ... thats why so many people use them ...

Talking to you in person about this on Feb 26th in Memphis would help ...

bwchevyguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, Memphis is a good 3.5 hours from me. I'll think about making it down there. Would love to have someone who knows what they are doing tweak it for me.