New member. New tune. Blown engine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlowJoe

Reaction score
I have been lurking, reading and learning a lot on here for a while now, and finally signed up a few months ago. I have found this forum to be a great resource. Unfortunately, my first post is to report an engine failure. I recently purchased my 3rd, and what I hope to be my last, suburban. It's a 1999 7.4 K2500. I have spent the last few months going through it and fixing everything necessary to get it back into road worthy condition. I recently had a tune done. While creating the follow up test log something happened and now the engine knocks and has no oil pressure at idle. I am curious to see if anyone could view this log if I shared it and see if there was anything in it that may give an indication of what went wrong? Thanks in advance.

SlowJoe

Reaction score
My assumption is a rod bearing also. It certainly sounds and acts like it except for that it's not really knocking worse under load like generally occurs with a rod. I will have it swinging soon and will know more once it's opened up. I tried to attach the log file but it says " The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension". It is a .efi file and thats not on the "acceptable" list. I could send it in an email or I am open to suggestions to attach it here if someone could let me know how. Thanks!

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. The big ends of the L29 7.4 rods are not put together well. My bearing inserts looked like they had acne from small metal particles trapped between the rod and insert. I had the rods resized at my machine shop.

I have posted .efi files by changing the extension to .zip. It's not really becoming a zip file. So someone can download it and rename the extension back to .efi to open it.

The 99 is probably the best of the L29's. They have the big 3/8" pushrods, improved egr plumbing, and a better ecm than my 97.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I downloaded it and tried, but my efi live scan app said it's not a valid efi live file.