turbo 350 in an 88 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FF1751

Reaction score
i have an 88 k1500 4x4. it has a 5 speed now, used to have a 7oor4 which went to the grave yard when the previous owner overheated tranny and blew the motor. so when i got it i dropped in a carbureted 350, and a 5 speed. this is a work truck/woods truck only. i was wanting to put a turbo 350 tranny in, but not sure if it can be done.
anybody got any ideas?
i would like an automatic since its easier to crawl through the woods than the 5 speed.
cutting or moving crossmembers or making new cross members is no problemif needed.
also, what transfer cases will work. i have the original automatic transfer case as well as the manual transfer case since the output shafts are different, along with both driveshafts.

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with a turbo 400 if you can find one.Its more beefy than the 350.

FF1751

Reaction score
would there be any fitment issues? what transfer cases will work? as stated i have 2 transfer cases from this truck, 1 for the automatic that was behind the 700r4, and one for a manual.
what about overall length of the 400 turbo versus the original 7oor4? will the tcase from the 700 fit the 400?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea there'd be a fitment issues. I got a th350 in mine not a problem. My truck had a 700r4 and I had this one built with a kit from tci or trenzpak fitzall or whatever, has a special rear shaft and spacer and makes it bolt in the exact place of a 700r4 no mods needed, direct bolt in and go. The kit is like $150 or more and comes with dipstick, kickdown, spacers, gaskets, bolts, the shaft, and a dust cover. Northernautoparts has it I know, but my trans guy got it from his supplier. It'll bolt right to the 700r4 t-case adapter and uses the same mount since the mount is on the t-case adapter, the 700r4 column linkage bolts right to it and works, just d is actually od now on the dash, the lines bolt up, it's easy as cake. The corssmember stays in the 700r4 position no holes drilled nothing. All you need is to tap into a manifold vac. for the modulator and hook up the kickdown cable which should hookright on the tbi where the 700 did in your case it can hook to the carb, and you can t off the big port in back of the carb, or maybe the intake.

The th350 is plenty strong enough we drive the thing everyday and with 3.42's and 30-31 inch tall tires it's great on gas mileage. it is tbi still, but wished it was carb and not having OD or lockup doesn't make a difference for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
because od sucks.

700r4 suck they slip or go bad, leak whatever, yea like any other trans could LOL.

Around here od is useless and sucks more gas then it saves, around town twist and turn stop and go up hill and down hill not to mention gear ratios like 3.42's and what not.

non od is cheaper to fix and rebuild, easier to work on, less crap to mess with meaning tcc/ lockup and the tv cable that has to be perfect or it'll ruin the trans.

I'll give you this much on od lower first gear, good lower rear end ratios like 4.10 on a street truck or lower for a big tired 4x4 od would be good to bring down rpms. other then that no use IMO.

Around here everyone with an OD drives around town in od and it just burns it up and turns very weak and sluggish over time.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
because od sucks.

700r4 suck they slip or go bad, leak whatever, yea like any other trans could LOL.

Around here od is useless and sucks more gas then it saves, around town twist and turn stop and go up hill and down hill not to mention gear ratios like 3.42's and what not.

non od is cheaper to fix and rebuild, easier to work on, less crap to mess with meaning tcc/ lockup and the tv cable that has to be perfect or it'll ruin the trans.

I'll give you this much on od lower first gear, good lower rear end ratios like 4.10 on a street truck or lower for a big tired 4x4 od would be good to bring down rpms. other then that no use IMO.

Around here everyone with an OD drives around town in od and it just burns it up and turns very weak and sluggish over time.
I do agree with you on the most of it, but it sure is nice to have OD on the highway, no matter what gear, with that being said, mine is in 3rd 99% of its life.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOl for me man you can't hear mine run on the highway and it'll do 90 like it nothing and have half pedal or so left. I got 3.42's and 255/70 16's on it and it's a 4x4.

natek52

Reaction score
hey im swapping a th350 in place of my 700r4 in my 88 4x4 as well so any help coming from someone who has done the swap on the same truck would be great, so is there any info that would help me. I know i have to buy the adapter kit but is there anything else