tune up time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John R

Reaction score
1997 ck1500 5.7 vortec stock motor. Plugs,wires,distributor cap and rotor. 200k miles. Ive read the Delco plugs are made by Ngk. which type Ngk are recommeded/irridium,platinum??; Plug wires,,I have never cut wires;cap and rotors,brass vs aluminum.
Also Ive been told the OEM distributor has a plastic gear,should I get a new distrubutor with metal gear and if so what distributor do you recommed. Im not hot rodder, its my everyday ride.
Thanks,
John

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
1997 ck1500 5.3 vortec stock motor. Plugs,wires,distributor cap and rotor. 200k miles. Ive read the Delco plugs are made by Ngk. which type Ngk are recommeded/irridium,platinum??; Plug wires,,I have never cut wires;cap and rotors,brass vs aluminum.
Also Ive been told the OEM distributor has a plastic gear,should I get a new distrubutor with metal gear and if so what distributor do you recommed. Im not hot rodder, its my everyday ride.
Thanks,
John
So is it LS swapped? Cause that's what a 5.3 is. And LS platform engine doesn't have a distributor, so no cap or rotor.
'97 1500 would have a 4.3 V6 or a 5.0 or 5.7 V8. Best replacement plugs are new ones of the same brand and part number as what came originally. My '97 one ton pickup with a 5.7 had AC #41-993 plugs in it from the factory, and that's what I put in to replace them. Those are iridium, and $7 apiece from Rock Auto. They specify a .045" gap; they were pretty close but I checked them to be sure, with a gap gauge.
For the cap and rotor, I got those from Rock Auto as well, the United Motor Products vented cap and rotor set. They're blue and have brass contacts which are much better than the aluminum ones cheaper caps come with.
Pictures of the old original cap and rotor at 125,000 miles and new cap installed on the truck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 9