Tune up gone wrong, PLEASE HELP ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jahblah90

Reaction score
Just went and checked the plugs on the coil. They are on the coil properly and are snapped in as is the coil to cap wire. This really blows.

Last edited:

Jahblah90

Reaction score
Tried that earlier today, no different.

UPDATE!!!!

So I checked the rotor again, this time taking the rotor off to inspect. I feel soooo dumb. SOMEHOW, I installed the rotor 180 degrees wrong. So I corrected my horrible mistake and switched the wires around yet again. My friend got back in town and came over to be a second set of eyes. I lined the crank up to zero, removed #1 plug to check TDC, then checked the rotor button position. REWIRED YET AGAIN, and after an exhaust backfire and some tbi backfires, it finally started and ran for 2 seconds. Started and ran twice, then nothing but turn over after that. So I feel I should be on the right track. This is by far the worse tune up ever. Took simplicity for granted and made an amateur mistake. SMH

Jahblah90

Reaction score
Sounds like timing is out or a bad ICM or coil

Lol the triple threat. I tried cranking it again and it started and ran for about 5-7 seconds this time before stalling and not starting. But my battery has worn down from 10hrs of cranking so progress has ended for the night.

What would cause the ICM to fail when it was working fine before? I will go exchange the coil tomorrow. Maybe I got a bad one.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is very easy to cross up everything when doing a tune up, LOL I have don it my self. When you put the engine on TDC, it needs to be on the compression stroke. The easy way to tell if its the compression stroke. is to pull the number 1 spark plug, and have someone spin the engine over while you put your finger or thumb over the spark plug hole, (not in the hole) while someone else spins the engine over. You can feel and even hear the compression coming out of the hole, then use the timing marks on the harmonic balancer fly wheel to get dead on TDC. It is easy to be on TDC and it not be the compression stroke. This would put the rotor 180 degrees out. It is easy to put the rotor on back words, but if you turn it over, you will see that there is a difference between the right and left side so that it will line up the rotor, and it sounds like you have found this out. As long as you haven't pulled the distributor it self, there is no real reason why the engine need to be as TDC on the compression stroke, to do a tune up though. It is also very easy to confuse where number one plug wire goes on the distributor cap. And a cheep cap, is the worse. A good cap should have a number one on it so that you know where to start putting the plug wires, to start wiring the FO. As for clock wise or counter clock wise, all you have to do is crank the engine with the distributor cap removed, and see what way the rotor turns. This is the direction that you follow to wire the plugs wires. If you are sure that the FO is correct, and it is going in the rite direction, then the number 1 may be in the wrong place. You may need to move the number 1 over one hold ether clock wise or counter clock wise. This will mean that all the wires will need to be moved over one hole in the same direction. This could be you hole problem. If your are off only one hole on the number 1 plug wire, and the FO is correct, the truck can run, but it won't run proper. It will do what you are describing.

Jahblah90

Reaction score
It is very easy to cross up everything when doing a tune up, LOL I have don it my self. When you put the engine on TDC, it needs to be on the compression stroke. The easy way to tell if its the compression stroke. is to pull the number 1 spark plug, and have someone spin the engine over while you put your finger or thumb over the spark plug hole, (not in the hole) while someone else spins the engine over. You can feel and even hear the compression coming out of the hole, then use the timing marks on the harmonic balancer fly wheel to get dead on TDC. It is easy to be on TDC and it not be the compression stroke. This would put the rotor 180 degrees out. It is easy to put the rotor on back words, but if you turn it over, you will see that there is a difference between the right and left side so that it will line up the rotor, and it sounds like you have found this out. As long as you haven't pulled the distributor it self, there is no real reason why the engine need to be as TDC on the compression stroke, to do a tune up though. It is also very easy to confuse where number one plug wire goes on the distributor cap. And a cheep cap, is the worse. A good cap should have a number one on it so that you know where to start putting the plug wires, to start wiring the FO. As for clock wise or counter clock wise, all you have to do is crank the engine with the distributor cap removed, and see what way the rotor turns. This is the direction that you follow to wire the plugs wires. If you are sure that the FO is correct, and it is going in the rite direction, then the number 1 may be in the wrong place. You may need to move the number 1 over one hold ether clock wise or counter clock wise. This will mean that all the wires will need to be moved over one hole in the same direction. This could be you hole problem. If your are off only one hole on the number 1 plug wire, and the FO is correct, the truck can run, but it won't run proper. It will do what you are describing.

WOW, okay, my mind is blown. I did NOT know that a dizzy cap had a certain spot for number 1!!!!!! I have rewired the cap a million times according to the rotors pointing direction. Never thought to check the cap for numbers. It is an ACCEL 8132 Cap and Rotor kit. I will check! Is there another way of determining number 1 if it is not indicated on the new cap? Maybe set it next to the old and compare, granted it is numbered. Pulling the dizzy was my next step. Glad I came in to check first!!!

Jahblah90

Reaction score
NEW UPDATE!!! so, somehow ive managed to top my previous dumb move. I never pushed the rotor button all the way down, which is why ive repeatedly gotten false readings when I removed the cap. But to my defense, the metal that the rotor slides down onto is pretty ruff/rusty and pushing it fully down was more of a task than it should have been. I got is at TDC, checked to see if rotor was pointing to #1 and it was. So I put it all back together, went to start it...*click* dead battery again... Hope it works this time.

Jahblah90

Reaction score
Fixed my problem guys. Rotor button was unusable from it turning without being seated. Tore the plastic underside up. Went and bought another one, she fired right up. Runs great now. Thank you all for the help!