Truck tries to drive through the brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I've had an engine pull without input, there were throttle plates opening.

'76 Cadillac - Accelerator pump linkage broke and got hung up, holding throttle open.
'69 Cadillac - Secondary return linkage was missing, vacuum pulled the secondaries open.
'06 Mustang - Carbon buildup in the throttle body stuck the throttle body slightly open.
'89 C1500 - Holley sniper throttle plates were misaligned from the factory, sticking slightly open.

Recheck your throttle plates. Play with them and play with them some more.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I've had an engine pull without input, there were throttle plates opening.

'76 Cadillac - Accelerator pump linkage broke and got hung up, holding throttle open.
'69 Cadillac - Secondary return linkage was missing, vacuum pulled the secondaries open.
'06 Mustang - Carbon buildup in the throttle body stuck the throttle body slightly open.
'89 C1500 - Holley sniper throttle plates were misaligned from the factory, sticking slightly open.

Recheck your throttle plates. Play with them and play with them some more.
^^^Thats what I’m sayin’. Never hurts to clean your throttle body either.

PJones96

Reaction score
^^^Thats what I’m sayin’. Never hurts to clean your throttle body either.
I will clean the throttle body. The idle issue is just little blips every 3 seconds. The truck doesn't rev on it's own until I put it in drive. Seems like if it was the throttle blades it would be constant, right?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will clean the throttle body. The idle issue is just little blips every 3 seconds. The truck doesn't rev on it's own until I put it in drive. Seems like if it was the throttle blades it would be constant, right?
What does scanner say throttle position is?

PJones96

Reaction score
What does scanner say throttle position is?
Scanner says TP is .4 to .8 while idling in park. I put it in drive, the TP% remained the same but rpm increased. I did not notice how high the rpm got but after holding it for a few seconds the idle did come down to 607.

With the engine off the MAP is 29.8. When idling the MAP read 8.6-9.2. When I put in in drive the MAP increased to 10.9.

Intake air temp was a balmy 111.

Spark Advance ranged from -18 to -22 while idling.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My TP is 0° at idle and while driving with foot off pedal it also returns to 0°.
Watch it while driving and what do you see.

1. Failing throttle body​

A car accelerating on its own without the driver’s input is commonly caused by a malfunctioning throttle body. If the throttle plate of your car sticks, it cannot return to the correct position, so the car will accelerate as a result.

PJones96

Reaction score
My TP is 0° at idle and while driving with foot off pedal it also returns to 0°.
Watch it while driving and what do you see.

1. Failing throttle body​

A car accelerating on its own without the driver’s input is commonly caused by a malfunctioning throttle body. If the throttle plate of your car sticks, it cannot return to the correct position, so the car will accelerate as a result.
Understood. I need to clean the TB and make sure the throttle blades close completely. TPS should read 0

TuckerDog

Reaction score
Try checking vacuum level, air fuel mixture, throttle linkage, timing, make sure the ignition is functioning ok. And then after all that, go ahead and check the brakes.