Truck dies at idle after cam install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heavy Chevy

Reaction score
Ive got a 95 GMC Sierra that I've done pretty much everything to!
I just did a new roller cam thats big 112 lsa 520/525 lift and it keeps dying at idle it sounds awesome but dies after it idles under 800 on its own.
Who knows a good chip guy in DFW that can fix my woes?@? Oh, and the trans is still not installed

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Injected, tbi, carburator, ESP isn't working right now.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look up Dave W over at Gearhead EFI. He can ship chips back and forth with you. You'll need a windows laptop, OBD1 to USB cable, and TunerPro to log data and send it to him.

Heavy Chevy

Reaction score
Injected, tbi, carburator, ESP isn't working right now.
Injection and everything works, it just doesnt want to idle. I should have the trans in later and see if it makes a difference. But it still doesn't even thave ten minutes of run time

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check for vacuum leaks first. I put .515" lift Lunati cam in my engine, and the TBI ran great until I gave it half the pedal. Then it tried to die. You might be able to band-aid a TBI enough to drive it, but really you need to be looking for a better injection system.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the cranking compression pressure? Was the cam degreed when it was installed, or merely "dot-to-dot"?

Have you successfully adjusted lifter preload on other Chevy engines?

Heavy Chevy

Reaction score
Im adding a vac canister later
The compression was 138- 150+ with bad springs and seals and I can adjust rthese roller and non roller valves with my eyes closed

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is your cam compatible with your computer, cam combination. What is your inj' system? A vaccum canister on an injection engine sounds like your setup is overkill, or in need of a custom tune. What will it idle at?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the trans is still not installed
If that's an automatic, the weight of the spinning torque converter will help some.

The compression was 138- 150+
Depending on your altitude and cranking speed, that's nothin' special. I find most stock engines have around 150--160; I hate seeing less than 140 around here. But what you've posted would meet GM specs. If it were farther off, I'd wonder about cam timing.

Connect a scan tool, look at the sensor data, fuel trims and other computer outputs. How old is the O2 sensor? Ten minutes?

What is the fuel pressure?