truck died!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike cox

Reaction score
98 3/4 4x4 vortec 454. 230000 miles. about a month go going down the road it sputtered then went back to normal,,yesterday going down the highway.it sputtered twice and died,,wont restart..is getting and holding pressure,has spark..when it cranks it acts like its trying to back fire,,timing chain maybe ? is there anything other than the chain that would cause it to not start...ive never seen a chain act like this when they fail the fail,, its not showing codes

mike cox

Reaction score
put a timing chain in it,,, the stock one wasnt a bad as i expected.. it has some wear but didnt jump time..any other ideas?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ignition control module,coil? if you can read the codes see if there is a pending or history code for crank position sensor thats my list I would check

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
x2 on the ignition control module, when everything is still hot, itll act like its backfiring because its sending raw fuel through everything onto the hot exhaust. once its cold, there'll be nothing but gas smell.