Tripometer fix??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know others have had the issue where the tripometer quits or gets stuck on 9. I did a search and can't find any threads, though I am sure they are here. Has anyone fixed this or is there even away to repair/replace it? It's not a huge issue, but since I'll have the cluster off, I figured I would try to fix.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Grab a similar year cluster from the boneyard and transplant the tripmeter. You'll find it's connected to the odometer with a little plastic driveshaft. Not a big deal to swap. Just be careful you don't static-zap the dash cluster circuit board while you're in there, especially since the air is drier this time of year. A static buildup you can't even feel is enough to blast delicate chips on the board when you touch it, so make a habit of touching some metal grounded object first before reaching inside the cluster housing.

The really early trucks (moonie gauge era) were bad about breaking tripmeters. Later ones, not so much. What seems to break them the most is resetting while in motion. You're supposed to only do it at a dead stop.

Edit - BTW, the 95-up cluster disassembles a bit differently from earlier years. You can release the lens/bezel from the cluster with three tabs on the back side. Then use a plastic scraper tool or similar to gently pry the gauge fauce away from the housing. The black gauge face is a sticker applied to clear plexi; that's what you are prying out of the housing, so just take your time and be careful. What's holding it in are the studs on the back of the gauge motors where they press into sockets in the housing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Grab a similar year cluster from the boneyard and transplant the tripmeter. You'll find it's connected to the odometer with a little plastic driveshaft. Not a big deal to swap. Just be careful you don't static-zap the dash cluster circuit board while you're in there, especially since the air is drier this time of year. A static buildup you can't even feel is enough to blast delicate chips on the board when you touch it, so make a habit of touching some metal grounded object first before reaching inside the cluster housing.

The really early trucks (moonie gauge era) were bad about breaking tripmeters. Later ones, not so much. What seems to break them the most is resetting while in motion. You're supposed to only do it at a dead stop.

Edit - BTW, the 95-up cluster disassembles a bit differently from earlier years. You can release the lens/bezel from the cluster with three tabs on the back side. Then use a plastic scraper tool or similar to gently pry the gauge fauce away from the housing. The black gauge face is a sticker applied to clear plexi; that's what you are prying out of the housing, so just take your time and be careful. What's holding it in are the studs on the back of the gauge motors where they press into sockets in the housing.

Richard
Richard, I'm very thankful for this! I have a decent boneyard south of me that I will try to get down to this weekend. I'll report back. Thanks again.

Last edited: