Transmission shifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NO4NSHT

Reaction score
All right so I got a 1994 Chevrolet 1500 5.0 2 wheel drive. There are some days you get in this truck and it shifts amazing perfect like a brand new truck there's other days you get in his truck and you're scared to let it shift while speeding up if that makes sense. Like it will shift so hard almost break your neck and feel like the transmission is going to fall out. It doesn't do it all the time as I said some days it does it some days it doesn't. So then there's time service engine soon light to come on and it will feel like I'm on a bungee cord I'm trying to go forward but something's holding me back. And then it will backfire out of the throttle body sometimes when the service engine soon lights on and then sometimes when the service engine soon light is not on I don't freaking get it I don't have an odb1 reader I know that everybody says use a paperclip I tried to do that one day and my dad tripped out on me and I'm at the point where I don't know what to do I'm reaching out for help I really don't like to ask for help unless I literally cannot figure it out and I'm at that point. I need to check the engine light and figure out what's causing it the light to come on but at the same time there's times when the light's not on and it does it.. but when I turn the key off the light goes off so how would I check it if the light's not on when I turn the key off to shut the truck off or does it matter if the service engine soon light is lit or not? any information at all would be greatly appreciated

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but when I turn the key off the light goes off so how would I check it if the light's not on
The light can go out but the PCM will store the code(s) for ~30 - 40 key cycles, or if you disconnect the battery. You really should get a scanner on it.

NO4NSHT

Reaction score
The light can go out but the PCM will store the code(s) for ~30 - 40 key cycles, or if you disconnect the battery. You really should get a scanner on it.

Well no one around here has one. Everyone says to use a paper clip but i dont wanna mess something up. As my father swears will happen but i dont know much bout the obs. Its not my first old chevy but its my first obs and i love the truck when its performing right..

NO4NSHT

Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do i go About pin pointing what it is in The EGR System that is bad?
On that link you can click on the blue 32 and it will explain possible causes. If you take a vacuum pump and hook it up to the EGR valve itself and pump it down. the valve should open and hold a vacuum. If not, the diaphragm is bad.

That really doesn't have anything to do with your transmission but, it needs attention too.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might be a small piece of carbon holding the EGR valve open just slightly. Pull the EGR valve off and check that it's closing fully. If there's a small piece of carbon preventing it from closing just push the valve open a little and clean the carbon off.