transmission range switch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im preparing my bin file for when i get to my 411 swap into my 98, the software im using is tunerpro, which has the option to adjust the "transmission range switch/gear indicator type". on the lextech spreadsheet he mentions about tuning out this as its not needed, or splicing wires if it cant be tuned out. anyone know what the difference would be if i spliced the 4 wires or just set the setting to "0" for none. this is also the first day i have been exploring the software so im super green to all this. i know im probably going to ask this later as well, might as well include it here. i turned the ALT. L and ALT. F settings off. Is that all that is meant by, No alternator codes, that instruction is very vague

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I emailed Jeff, he confirmed for me that no splicing required, just mark it a zero in the software. And the alt f and l is all that is meant for no alt codes

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
98 would have that alternator terminal. The PCM commands a certain amperage based on RPM

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98 would have that alternator terminal. The PCM commands a certain amperage based on RPM
Ill do i like his instructions state first and see if any issues pop up.

Its doesnt explain what the alt codes are though, just to disable them. Havent looked into how the alternator interacts with the 411

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ill do i like his instructions state first and see if any issues pop up.

Its doesnt explain what the alt codes are though, just to disable them. Havent looked into how the alternator interacts with the 411
PCM interacts with the "F" and "L" terminals on the regulator with a factory 0411 setup. The dash indicator light is driven off the PCM. Very few GMT400s are wired for alternator control from the factory. Typical GMT400 wiring to the alternator regulator is 1 wire off the "L" terminal to the bulb in the cluster. Bulb feeds the regulator "L" terminal voltage through the Alternator Charge bulb. When I modified the wiring on the van, I wired the alternator up to be PCM controlled and the alternator bulb to work off the PCM. I like the setup because the voltage stays far more consistent. The PCM can also add idle speed if the electrical demands exceed the alternators idle amperage output. Finally the PCM can also add IAC steps to maintain the idle speed when a heavy electrical load is switched on. This prevents the idle speed from momentarily dipping when the headlights are turned on or the blower motor is set to high. The PCM adds IAC steps as the duty cycle signal to the regulator and thus field current magnetisim and power draw is increased. The PCM will increase the idle 100-150 rpm if the duty cycle increases above 80-85% on the alternators field current. On a long road trip the PCM will reduce my alternators charging voltage down to about 13.2 volts, which prevents the acid from being boiled out of the battery. On a cold start in cold weather the PCM will also kick the voltage up over 14 volts for several minutes to help recover the batteries charge.

Last edited:

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PCM interacts with the "F" and "L" terminals on the regulator with a factory 0411 setup. The dash indicator light is driven off the PCM. Very few GMT400s are wired for alternator control from the factory. Typical GMT400 wiring to the alternator regulator is 1 wire off the "L" terminal to the bulb in the cluster. Bulb feeds the regulator "L" terminal voltage through the Alternator Charge bulb. When I modified the wiring on the van, I wired the alternator up to be PCM controlled and the alternator bulb to work off the PCM. I like the setup because the voltage stays far more consistent. The PCM can also add idle speed if the electrical demands exceed the alternators idle amperage output. Finally the PCM can also add IAC steps to maintain the idle speed when a heavy electrical load is switched on. This prevents the idle speed from momentarily dipping when the headlights are turned on or the blower motor is set to high. The PCM adds IAC steps as the duty cycle signal to the regulator and thus field current magnetisim and power draw is increased. The PCM will increase the idle 100-150 rpm if the duty cycle increases above 80-85% on the alternators field current.
Im sure ill have to revisit this when i connect the 400amp alternator, it has some other wires it needs connected besides the standard one

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im sure ill have to revisit this when i connect the 400amp alternator, it has some other wires it needs connected besides the standard one
I may install a 370a on the van if the 200a AD244 ever gives out. I have considered adding the declutcher on the current unit. Have not figured out the part number Powermaster is putting on their AD244s yet. My belt squeals from alternator slippage on high rpm shifts at the moment. The belt squeal/chirp is annoying to me. The declutcher allows the alternator stator to somewhat freewheel in periods of low power demand as it is somewhat controlled by the magnetism generated by the alternator.