transmission fluid and filter change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps by loosening the bolts holding the trans mount, and lift the back of the transmission for access. A swivel socket and extension may make this easier.

The guy in the video just cleaned the pan and magnet "in place" after removing the bolts.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have been flushing transmissions like shown in the youtube video above for a decade now on my personal and friends/families vehicles. have had zero issues and now do it on the odd stranger i do work for now. if there isn't a drain plug I always weld one in. that way fluid maintenance is easier in the future. if the fluid is red or brown you are good to go on doing a flush. take the dipstick and wipe it on a white paper towel or rag to check the colour. if the fluid is black, the trans is most likely on its last legs. there is a good chance a flush will not help. you can do one and hope it will last you a bit longer until you can do an overhaul.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
once i do a flush I like to replace the fluid in the pan every 25,000 miles or so. for myself, it's just easier than pulling a cooler line. however your way is an excellent way if there is no drain plug. wish someone would have told me that when i was teenager, took a few transmission oil baths

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just installed an assault racing pan with drain plug and wix filter. Very easy. Drain plug important for ease of maintenance

If ur Tran oil is black u may be inviting problems by flushing. Not sure about gmt400, but on gmt800 with same transmission Gm recommends a fluid change and not to flush. Yes you’re changing maybe 40% of fluid with a drain.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed an assault racing pan with drain plug and wix filter. Very easy. Drain plug important for ease of maintenance

If ur Tran oil is black u may be inviting problems by flushing. Not sure about gmt400, but on gmt800 with same transmission Gm recommends a fluid change and not to flush. Yes you’re changing maybe 40% of fluid with a drain.
Because by “flush” GM is referring to a chemical flush where you instill chemical solvents along with the transmission fluid. No one should be doing that ever. You should only be instilling the recommended ATF in a transmission, never any additional chemicals. What most mean by “flush” in this thread is completey draining the transmission of old ATF and replacing it with new ATF — instead of just doing a drain and refill where a substantial amount of old ATF still remains in the torque converter.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
If the trans fluid is that bad I would flush the power steering fluid too. Taking off the belt and using a drill to drive the PS pump makes that easier.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed an assault racing pan with drain plug... ...Drain plug important for ease of maintenance
I used to think that way.

Then I learned to drop the cooler tube at the radiator to empty the pan, and realized that drain plugs were just another leak-point, essentially useless, and fairly-often attached to an over-priced trans pan that may/may not have a proper gasket surface.

(I used to weld or braze nuts to the inside of a stock pan that I'd drilled a hole in. Then a gasketed bolt from the outside served as a drain plug.)

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pela suction tool (the spherical one in the photo pulling oil out of the diff via the fill plug) works for me. Pulls trans and engine fluids from the dipstick tubes without disturbing drain plugs.

You must be registered for see images attach