transmission fluid and filter change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 97 gmc sierra I bought a couple months ago .. the truck was shifting hard and a little hesitant and throwing a transmission code so I added some of that stuff to it and it worked for the meantime shifting got better but it's hesitant again and it feels a little sluggish / heavy. I'm not sure if the fluid had been changed but I've changed oil but the transmission oil is black almost . smells a little burnt . should I change the fluid and filter ?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 gmc sierra I bought a couple months ago .. the truck was shifting hard and a little hesitant and throwing a transmission code so I added some of that stuff to it and it worked for the meantime shifting got better but it's hesitant again and it feels a little sluggish / heavy. I'm not sure if the fluid had been changed but I've changed oil but the transmission oil is black almost . smells a little burnt . should I change the fluid and filter ?
I would but use method in video above. Replace filter too!

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So black burnt oil is obviously a sign of an overheated tranny.. a fluid filter and fluid change will help, but some damage is already done so don't expect much of a change.

I've always understood that the conditioners are good to use but once they do their job and swell up the old seals, but you should do a fluid and filter change shortly after..

Reaction score
so I'm going to do it myself everyone keeps saying it's hard ..it seems easier than some things lol I'll follow the video ..thanks

Reaction score
so it's not a good idea just to take pan off, replace filter , and fillit up... u think I should flush it?

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when you drop the pan and do the filter, there is still quite a bit of old fluid stuck inside the torque convert that will never drain out.

Flushing is only way to be sure to get all new fluid.

Reaction score
when you drop the pan and do the filter, there is still quite a bit of old fluid stuck inside the torque convert that will never drain out.

Flushing is only way to be sure to get all new fluid.
so it's ok to not get it all right .. I don't have to completely flush or should I?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Is the fluid black because it's old/burnt/contaminated; or because someone put some random additive into it that changed the color? (You may not know, so the reasonable thing is to replace the fluid and the filter.)

2. I ALWAYS flush the fluid rather than being satisfied with a "pan-drop". There's zero reason to keep ~five quarts of rancid fluid in the transmission when you could have 95%+ clean fluid with little extra work.