Transfer case illuminated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowpad

Reaction score
The "4WD" symbol on the transfer case on my '95 K1500 illuminates when I'm in 4WD, but is the quadrant around the control level illuminated as well? I can take it apart to find out, but was hoping that someone on this fantastic website could let me know ....

Thanks,

Lowell

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The shift indicators should light up individually depending on your selection, and the buttons should light with the rest of the instrument lights when you turn the park lights on. The selector indicators are LED, but I believe the backlighting bulbs are still incandescent so probably burned out.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are two bulbs, both under the 4x4 section. Photo grabbed from the internet...

You must be registered for see images attach

The one on the left is on in 4x4, the other when the lights are on. It does a better job of illuminating the top section than the area around the shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowpad

Reaction score
There are two bulbs, both under the 4x4 section. Photo grabbed from the internet...

You must be registered for see images attach

The one on the left is on in 4x4, the other when the lights are on. It does a better job of illuminating the top section than the area around the shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThAnk you!

Lowpad

Reaction score
@east302, many thanks for the helpful photo. Replaced both bulbs today. You are correct that the second bulb doesn't do much to light up the shifter area, but it helps a bit.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Don't know why GM decided that the bulb on the right should be illuminated at all times. You only need it at night, was thinking of wiring in a relay for that reason, but haven't gotten around to it.