TPS voltage, adjustment, and other things.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1990 1500, 350 TBI, I have been tracking down multiple problems on my truck just to get it in decent running shape in preparation for the 5 speed swap I'm doing. I've replaced the plugs (ac delco coppers), o2 sensor (ngk), egr valve (delphi - old one was completely shot) and associated hoses/lines. The line from the TB to the egr solenoid was cut in half and the line from the solenoid to the valve itself was plugged on the valve side with a screw. the pcv valve was also gummed up pretty good, i also replaced that. Among the 4 or 5 codes I had, one was associated with the TPS (I can't remember the exact code). The replacement was a Tomco brand part. It had the elongated/adjustable bolt holes instead of the smaller non adjustable ones that the OEM tps had.

My first question is when testing voltage from the TPS what should the idle and WOT values be? I put it on as close to the OEM as possible but have yet to check it with a meter, will do that once I know for sure what voltage should be and adjust accordingly.

Among my replacement parts was also a new Delphi coolant temp sensor. It had the original one and it was starting to turn green and look corroded so it had to go. How far down should this thread into the intake manifold? I could only get it a little more than halfway before it started getting REALLY tight and I didn't want to break anything.

After all of this, I now only have one code and it is code 45. Truck is definitely running rich and once it gets warmed up a bit it starts to get a real lopey idle like it has a performance cam in it or something and act like it wants to die. There is also some greyish/black smoke that comes from the exhaust when you give it any gas. It has a new distributor in it from previous owner. The lopey idle and smoke from exhaust did not happen until after I patched up the EGR system and replaced the TPS. Replacing the spark plug wires, cap, and rotor are next on my to do list for preventative maintenance.

Finally, some people say a new MAP sensor may fix a code 45. I unplugged it and the truck would barely run without it and wanted to fall flat on its ass. Does that sound right?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tps should read .5v at idle and approximately 4.5 at wot. Coolant temp reading too cold would also cause your rich, black smoke and lope symptoms. I would scan live data if possible. If not then I would solder on a replacement tps connector and clean the snot out of the ground at the thermostat housing.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cleaned all the grounds BUT the one at on the thermostat outlet. I couldn't loosen the nut without loosening the whole thing and spinning the grounding bit with it. I will try again once I have light outside. Will also check and adjust TPS. I have an EGR valve solenoid on the way since it was so cheap. The one currently installed doesn't have the filter on it and I suspect it might be dirty or letting vacuum reach the valve when it's not supposed to.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an old spare open end 9/16" wrench and a grinder you can grind a little off to make it thin enough to slip onto the lower t-stat housing bolt...

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPS voltage at closed throttle was .6 volts and at WOT was 4.65 or so. I adjusted it so that it is now .5 and 4.5 give or take a little. I noticed the round gasket that goes around the base of the TB was shot as well as the one that goes between the air cleaner assembly and the TB spacer so I'm going to pick those up in a minute.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Those values are perfectly fine for the TPS. Anything over 4.5v is what the computer sees as full throttle.

I've got an '89 and used a scanner to find out my TPS was shot. When working correctly it used to read 0.65v at idle and the "new" one which replaced it reads about 0.56-0.58. I now have an off idle/slight throttle stumble. Could be because I didn't reset the computer though.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the two air cleaner gaskets and put everything back together and ran the truck for a bit. Idle in park was a little rough but once I put it in gear it ran beautifully but only in gear...for a few minutes. After about 5 minutes the check engine light came on, code 45 again, and it started running rough in park and in gear. Acted like it was going to stall.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
New EGR valve solenoid, no change. Runs beautifully on cold start. After 5 minutes, starts idling rough again. Is there any way to test the MAP sensor?

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
I am chasing the facts about my TPS. Factory claims the TPS is non-adjustable ( regular bolt holes).. My old TPS is adjustable ( slotted bolt holes)... The slotted OLD TPS, may be bad? So the only replacement is a AC Delco TPS "non-adjustable". I put it on and the truck runs awful. ( after adjusting minimal idle speed).... .... BUT... 5 years ago I bought a rebuilt TBI, and the adjustable TPS was on it........ I don't know if my OLD TBI Throttle Position Sensor was adjustable or not!!

I would like to find out if you members with a stock '88 5.7 has an adjustable, or non-adjustable TPS on it???????? You should be able to see if the bolts are on a slotted hole.

This is driving me goofy.