TPS and Tranny cant get along under load!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it hit 3v mid-throttle and stay there, or does it increase steadily all the way? Do you have another known-good TPS laying around?

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it hit 3v mid-throttle and stay there, or does it increase steadily all the way? Do you have another known-good TPS laying around?

thank you so much for the advice...
It increases gradually and drops gradually... peak at WOT was 3.9v Could this be the issue? The voltage not being high enough to tell the computer where its at? At this time, I do not have another TPS... the issue I have is finding a replacement without buying another 200 kit like the one that's in it. I am going to call B&M today and see if they can give me a part number. If you look in my previous post, I posted a link to the kit that I have, its the B&M with brackets, wiring etc... they don't sell a replacement TPS.

UPDATE:

an hour on the phone with B&M/Holley - they don't have a replacement! The Tech did give me a PN for an AC Delco one that "should" work! I am on an outer island in Hawaii so... gotta chase it down now.

EDIT:

Of course, no one had on island... have to order! UGH....

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not as familiar as others with GM's electronics, but I'd give it a 50% chance of being the issue. Apologies that I forgot that you're in the land of limited parts availability. On the other hand, I'm really glad I had a spare TPS when my Sniper's POS TPS pooed the bed. I don't know that you'll regret it if it doesn't fix it.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
well **** man! that sucks! I hope the gm part Number they gave you will work and give you something as a replacement. I cant believe that they wouldnt stock a major component of that intake.

I believe the tps is absolutely your problem because it is not reaching the 5.5 volts and the computer cant interpret the data correctly. the VSS says something different and so you tranny shifts unpredictably.

when you do find the gm TPS, post up the part number so anyone else who finds themselves in this situation will have a solution.

Al

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You seem to have a range of 0.32V to 12 something. Can you adjust it to get 0.6V at idle and 5 to 5.5V at WOT?
Is it directly on the throttle shaft or remote? If remote the relationship of rotation to linear cable travel could be wrong.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You seem to have a range of 0.32V to 12 something. Can you adjust it to get 0.6V at idle and 5 to 5.5V at WOT?
Is it directly on the throttle shaft or remote? If remote the relationship of rotation to linear cable travel could be wrong.

I have adjusted it at the drive and linear cable and by turning the sensor and .5 at idle, 3.95 at WOT (even though thats where the overdrive issue comes into play) is the sweet spot for normal driving. I had it higher but then the truck wouldn't start. I am gonna try to pick up a replacement sensor... its worth the $50 to try it. I just get the feeling this sensor's specs arent as applicable to the computer or something is wrong with it.

Mine is the B&M kit I posted earlier.. its remote cable mounted and on the firewall. You can see it in the pic I posted previously.

Last edited:

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well **** man! that sucks! I hope the gm part Number they gave you will work and give you something as a replacement. I cant believe that they wouldnt stock a major component of that intake.

I believe the tps is absolutely your problem because it is not reaching the 5.5 volts and the computer cant interpret the data correctly. the VSS says something different and so you tranny shifts unpredictably.

when you do find the gm TPS, post up the part number so anyone else who finds themselves in this situation will have a solution.

Al

I found the AC Delco part it is listed under 17111606 and ADO 213-905

Cheapest place I found it was SUMMIT for $55.95 - everywhere locally would have to order it between $83 at O'riellys and $169 and the Chevy dealership.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-213-905

It will be here next week. Hope this works! It seems like it is the problem based on the variance of voltage. <fingers crossed>

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have adjusted it at the drive and linear cable and by turning the sensor and .5 at idle, 3.95 at WOT (even though thats where the overdrive issue comes into play) is the sweet spot for normal driving. I had it higher but then the truck wouldn't start. I am gonna try to pick up a replacement sensor... its worth the $50 to try it. I just get the feeling this sensor's specs arent as applicable to the computer or something is wrong with it.

Mine is the B&M kit I posted earlier.. its remote cable mounted and on the firewall. You can see it in the pic I posted previously.

I think you need it to be able to output from 0.6V to circa 5V. That you only get 3.95V at WOT when it's set for 0.5V at idle implies the sensor isn't getting the full range of movement. If you could arrange for the cable attachment point to be closer to its pivot or, move the attachment point at the pedal end further from its pivot then it should be possible to get output between 0.6 and 5V over the pedal travel.

Are you getting sufficient travel at the pedal? If the radius where the cable attaches to the carb is different (smaller) from the throttle body it replaced then maybe not.