Towing.... Stuff.... A long way.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I tried adding it, but it seems that PID doesn't have data. Unless there is something else I'm missing?

Sent from my DROID Maxx using Tapatalk

From what I've read in other forums, there is NO temperature sensor on the 4L80e that can either exists, nor can be accessed via torque. It's possible to tap into the cooler lines and install a couple of gauges in a A-pillar pod to see if your oil is cooking and if your cooler is doing its job. I think there is also a port on the driver's side of the trans that is tapped to 1/8" FPT that you could use... or I'm thinking E4OD.

Edit: Google fu gave me this- http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?12291-Best-place-for-4L80E-temp-sender
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXQoKgdk5rA

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've read in other forums, there is NO temperature sensor on the 4L80e that can either exists, nor can be accessed via torque. It's possible to tap into the cooler lines and install a couple of gauges in a A-pillar pod to see if your oil is cooking and if your cooler is doing its job. I think there is also a port on the driver's side of the trans that is tapped to 1/8" FPT that you could use... or I'm thinking E4OD.

Edit: Google fu gave me this- (video link removed to speed page loading)

Thank you for this.

Update. Apparently the longer the trip, the more coarsely Google Earth sample the Elevation profile. When I actually "Zoomed in" and did a route of only the hill I found out it was a 12.2% grade going up. This is now a much bigger concern.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Thank you for this.

Update. Apparently the longer the trip, the more coarsely Google Earth sample the Elevation profile. When I actually "Zoomed in" and did a route of only the hill I found out it was a 12.2% grade going up. This is now a much bigger concern.

I was going to say that I thought I remembered a bit of a climb taking a trip like that last time.. unfortunately I don't have a better route given that I tend to take the scenic route but be sure to stay out of OD up that grade, but I'm sure you know that.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ran across your thread on a Google search. 4L80E temp sensor:

You must be registered for see images attach

(Not my pic,grabbed it off the web)

Every 4L80 E has one to modify the tables in the calibration for hot and cold conditions.

Torque pro can access it.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In order you access the transmission temps, you need to enable the GM specific codes in the program. If you don't, you won't be able to add them to your dials/gauges/etc.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ran across your thread on a Google search. 4L80E temp sensor:

You must be registered for see images attach

(Not my pic,grabbed it off the web)

Every 4L80 E has one to modify the tables in the calibration for hot and cold conditions.

Torque pro can access it.
I have torque pro. I added additional PIDs there are 2 GM and 2 basic methods for Trans Temp. However on mine it displays No Data. I would like to compare PID settings with someone who has it working. The gauge alone cost $60. Then the pod, fluid, gasket, etc....

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I'm supposed to be towing....

You must be registered for see images

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went to the scale. In my truck I had Half a Tank of Gas, Myself and two toddlers. My GCW (truck and trailer) was 17,960. One more toddler and I'd be a cool 18,000 lbs LOL. So I un hitched and went back. The Truck alone (Myself, Half tank, 2 toddlers) 7020 Lbs. Which means the Trailer is over my 10,000 rating, but I'm under my Gross Combined. So what does that mean?

I have a Reese Pilot Brake Controller which I understand is a good model. But even cranking the voltage up to MAX (13V) I was getting an aggressive, very touchy pull from the trailer, but it wouldn't lock them up using the Manual slide. The trailer (As you can see) is a double axle 6,000 each with brand new brakes sized for the 6,000 axles. The Battery, wiring, everything is all new. It's a conversion from kinetic hydraulic brakes. My rig has good Hydroboost and normally stops very well, but setup like it is, it seems to be struggling to stop it. I'm about to head out to the parts store to get new front pads with higher performance. Under normal circumstances, These would be fine, but I'll burning off a lot of lining. My fancy rims are covered in brake dust. :/ Any advice?

Thanks.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I just went to the scale. In my truck I had Half a Tank of Gas, Myself and two toddlers. My GCW (truck and trailer) was 17,960. One more toddler and I'd be a cool 18,000 lbs LOL. So I un hitched and went back. The Truck alone (Myself, Half tank, 2 toddlers) 7020 Lbs. Which means the Trailer is over my 10,000 rating, but I'm under my Gross Combined. So what does that mean?

I have a Reese Pilot Brake Controller which I understand is a good model. But even cranking the voltage up to MAX (13V) I was getting an aggressive, very touchy pull from the trailer, but it wouldn't lock them up using the Manual slide. The trailer (As you can see) is a double axle 6,000 each with brand new brakes sized for the 6,000 axles. The Battery, wiring, everything is all new. It's a conversion from kinetic hydraulic brakes. My rig has good Hydroboost and normally stops very well, but setup like it is, it seems to be struggling to stop it. I'm about to head out to the parts store to get new front pads with higher performance. Under normal circumstances, These would be fine, but I'll burning off a lot of lining. My fancy rims are covered in brake dust. :/ Any advice?

Thanks.
My advice is just stay aware and be careful everything is multiplied with a trailer