Towing.... Stuff.... A long way.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So as you can see in my profile I have a decent truck. Relatively low miles considering.... 185,000, its a 1996 K2500 Suburban with a 454, 4L80E, factory tow package, etc. Pretty much stock except the tires and rims.

A friend of mine is moving from upstate NY to VA and he needs my help. I'll be loaded up with his kids and dogs and an 18' flatbed 12k double axle trailer loaded with, as best we can estimate, 9,000lbs gross trailer weight. He just installed new electric brakes on all 4 wheels and I have a brake controller. Straight through it'll take me 7½ hours, but with the kids I plan to stop every couple hours to maintain my sanity.... I mean let them run around. Most the trip south of PA is flat with 2.5% grades max. However there is one hill in PA that is a 4 mile climb coming out of Williamsport on 15 that is 4.5% going up and more critically 5.4% going down.

I've towed before, but neither this long nor this extreme. My truck is in top shape as best I can tell. Shifting smooth, new tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) k&n air filter, coolers on everything. It is definitely built to tow. I think I'll be fine but my wife is concerned and would like me to ask a more experienced crowd.

So... Will it do it? Will it survive? Should I use higher octane? The CGVWR is 19,900. By rights I should be able to have a fully loaded truck and 10,000 lbs towing (1k tongue, 10k trailer, 8,900 rig). He'd load me with more but I said just because I'm rated for 10k doesn't mean I want to push it to 10k.

Also, if someone out there knows a flatter route we'll be caravaning. Me loaded up in my truck and him with a 1960 IH Semi and 20k plus behind him. (Anyone who knows what that means, knows why I'm asking.);)

Thanks. I have a couple weeks before we set out. So I still have time to plan.

Sent from my DROID Maxx using Tapatalk

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Also plan on stopping every couple hours to refuel both those beasts as well as letting the kids run around. I'm guessing you'll be getting about 6-7 mpg the whole trip.

If it were me, I'd be wanting a tranny temp gauge as well.

TXVortec454

Reaction score
Sounds like a fun trip and well within the limits of your truck. Running in OD wouldn't bother me unless it starts to hunt for gears, then leave it in D. I've never needed premium fuel on my stock tune. I assume the computer pulls a ridiculous amount of timing.

Careful on those down hill runs. I'd probably downshift a couple for engine braking.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun trip and well within the limits of your truck. Running in OD wouldn't bother me unless it starts to hunt for gears, then leave it in D. I've never needed premium fuel on my stock tune. I assume the computer pulls a ridiculous amount of timing.

Careful on those down hill runs. I'd probably downshift a couple for engine braking.
You would downshift an automatic transmission like a stick?

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I wouldn't run it in OD, but that's just me. Keep it in 3 and call it a day, especially if you don't have a trans temp guage you don't want it getting too hot in OD especially.
I'd want a gauge if I were you so you can keep an eye on everything just to be sure.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would downshift an automatic transmission like a stick?

Works the same way :shrug: Somewhat dependent on if the TQ stays locked up or not though. I wired in a TQ lockup over ride on my F-250 for towing trailers so I could get some engine braking out of the 7.3

Don't downshift against the redline though. Slow down before kicking it down a gear.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
That load behind a big block vortec and 4l80e should not warrant pulling it out of OD. I would assume you have 3.73-4.10 gears. As long as the tire size is decently near stock, you should be just fine. On the downhill stretch, shift to 3rd (D) and brake in steps (brake until you are well below the speed limit or your comfortable speed, then coast and let the brakes cool as you gain speed again). It will help you fight brake fade, although with trailer brakes and a 3/4 ton burban, you should be fine regardless.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd leave it in OD and let it do it's thing unless you're going up hill and it's hunting. I'd keep the speed at 62 or so as well to be on the safe side.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback!
That load behind a big block vortec and 4l80e should not warrant pulling it out of OD. I would assume you have 3.73-4.10 gears. As long as the tire size is decently near stock, you should be just fine. On the downhill stretch, shift to 3rd (D) and brake in steps (brake until you are well below the speed limit or your comfortable speed, then coast and let the brakes cool as you gain speed again). It will help you fight brake fade, although with trailer brakes and a 3/4 ton burban, you should be fine regardless.
Its the 10.5" with 4.11 gears. As i said it has the factory tow package. Engine cooler, tranny cooler (and dedicated fan), power steering cooIer, etc. up'd the rims to 18" rather than the stock 16s. The Previous owner had 16.5” but I needed new tires and that size is hard to come by. The tire size is LT275/70R18 GY Duratracs. I picked the rims and tires to maintain the original load/towing capacity. Actually they are a bit higher rated than stock.
You must be registered for see images

The PO's 33x12.5xR16.5's couldn't even support the curb weight of the truck. I was splitting sidewalls and breaking belts. I had to replace them.

The 18" rims allow the drums to breathe a bit better, though upping to 33s means the brakes have to work a bit harder.

I have an OBD-II to Bluetooth adapter and and Android App on my phone called "Torque" that monitors the ECM, logs data, and I can set thresholds for audible warnings. Actually, I use it in place of my dash. But it doesn't tell me tranny temp. There is another App that is supposed to interface with the tranny computer. I'm going to try that one out instead. Maybe I can get Trans temp from that rather than install one. If not, I'll be headed to the parts store.

Normally, I average 10.5 MPG for mixed driving. I was hoping to get more after I did the tune-up, but all it did was get rid of my misfires.

Sent from my DROID Maxx using Tapatalk