Torsion bar problem installed wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedracre

Reaction score
I rebuilt my 93 Silverado 4x4 front suspension. can you put a torsion bar in backwards? putting the keys in where it sits in the cross member, don't even need the tool. but when take truck off jacks, its like the bumper is scraping the ground. So turn the keys down 1/6th (hex) they point down and using the tool , I could not get the key to get past the hole for the torsion bolt u shaped thing, actually crushed the top of the cross member, before I gave up.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok researching, found that you can get Left and Right Torsion bars, maybe I have them swapped?

Not sure what you did. I normally take a minute to mark L, R, F, R and make index marks to the anchors on both ends before I throw everything on the floor and start kicking it around.
It also pays to come here and seek some input and do the research before effing stuff up.

You didn't explain yourself clearly but it sound as if you're 1/6 or 1 flat off on the indexing on one end(control arm) and have run out of adjustment but only you know what you did.

Last edited:

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
On my 92 K3500 having the vehicle raised by the frame I was able to slip the keys in and put the cross bars in without using a compression tool. This can tell you if the bars are oriented correctly. I only put enough preload to get the axle shafts parallel to the ground @ ride height. The previous owner/brain damaged-crack head-orangutan jacked it up and maybe twisted them up a bit so it may not work this way in your world. I have also heard that if you twist them the other way after they have been twisted the other way they may break. I'm unsure if this is true. Hope this helps.

speedracre

Reaction score
Not sure what you did. I normally take a minute to mark L, R, F, R and make index marks to the anchors on both ends before I throw everything on the floor and start kicking it around.
It also pays to come here and seek some input and do the research before effing stuff up.

You didn't explain yourself clearly but it sound as if you're 1/6 or 1 flat off on the indexing on one end(control arm) and have run out of adjustment but only you know what you did.
Don't know why I did not mark them, marked everything else including putting bolts in baggies and marking them. Saturday I will switch them left and right and see what happens

speedracre

Reaction score
Expect problems if you install a "left" torsion bar on the right side...or a "right" torsion bar on the left.
On my 92 K3500 having the vehicle raised by the frame I was able to slip the keys in and put the cross bars in without using a compression tool. This can tell you if the bars are oriented correctly. I only put enough preload to get the axle shafts parallel to the ground @ ride height. The previous owner/brain damaged-crack head-orangutan jacked it up and maybe twisted them up a bit so it may not work this way in your world. I have also heard that if you twist them the other way after they have been twisted the other way they may break. I'm unsure if this is true. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that info

speedracre

Reaction score
ya, that is what it was , I had the bars swapped. Switched them and was able to put the proryde keys in, now it is level