Top Kick, Kodiak, 3500HD Exterior Door Handle Info, Cheap Handles, and Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great write up! Thanks for sharing...
I went through my local boneyard today, which happens to have a heavy truck section, and found some complete used handles which included the locks (that I actually found the key to in the truck) and the linkage rods.
I needed the lock cylinders because my Suburban which I recently purchased only had one working cylinder, on the passenger door. I went ahead and installed the door handles without cleaning them up or painting them... the natural patina and wear matches the rest of truck pretty well...:)

I do have a question though... After I installed these door handles, I found that I was unable to LOCK the door using the KEY. It unlocks perfectly fine. Both the Driver and Passenger side worked out this way. Is this the way they all work? If not, could it be that my latch mechanisms are worn out? Since the old lock cylinders didn't work, I have no idea if the doors could be locked by the key before the swap.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Mr.White98

Reaction score
I've been able to find all of the part numbers for the rods at gmpartsheadquarters.com, but some of the descriptions don't match. Such as 15647188 is listed as an outside handle, not a rod. Maybe worth a call to find out if they're the right parts. Let me know if you have any luck with them, I want to add a set to my Sierra.

Xanatost

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to go the dealership to find my rods and even then there was only like 8 left in the whole US. They don't make the rods out there and once they are gone they are gone. I did make some moldes of them before I installed them in case I want to make some more.

hzemall

Reaction score
How different are the HD rods etc then the original truck ones? I have one rod and some of other parts but I'm missing 3 key items.

Thanks

code

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I went to finish installing these on my two rear doors, since I finally got around to getting some dummy locks, And the handle latch rods for the rear doors are totally different. Anyone figure a way around this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd also like to know about this. I'm planning on doing my dad's 1 ton

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

code

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd also like to know about this. I'm planning on doing my dad's 1 ton

Should be fine on a 1 ton. Doors are the same. I have a tahoe. The back doors are different.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be fine on a 1 ton. Doors are the same. I have a tahoe. The back doors are different.

Oh, got it. I saw someone do all the doors on their hoe before. Including the barns.

code

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Happen to know how they did the rear doors?