Tired 92' 454 TBI needs help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTMiller13

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got my hands on a clapped out 1992 silverado 2500 this summer, fully loaded with stock 454 Tonawanda TBI,

Long story short it's a really neat truck to run around in, but at 360k kilometers shes tired, looking for answers to freshen the engine up (all small and big ideas welcome) and maybe a few ideas to get the tires burning a little quicker.

Thanks!
J Miller

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome,

Before assuming she's tired (360K km maybe yes, maybe no) check all the basics. You could start with a compression test to determine overall health of the engine. Then check fuel pressure (will require a test kit with an adapter that will work with your TBI setup; you T it in at the fuel filter, which you could also replace while you're there.) Once compression and fuel pressure are confirmed good, give it a tune-up with quality parts. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter. Consider thermostat and coolant temperature sensor (the one on the intake that feeds the ECM, not the one in the cylinder head that feeds the dash gauge.) Check for any bad vacuum lines. Fix any exhaust leaks and see that the O2 sensor is working properly (goes rich/lean on scanner frequently once warmed up.)

Outside of the engine, be sure your brakes aren't dragging - particularly the front brakes, which are susceptible to dragging and eventually locking up due to failed flex hoses restricting fluid flow return to the master cylinder.

Richard

TylerSteez

Reaction score
i just brought a high miled 1992 454 big block tbi truck back to life after being abandoned for 15 years (check my thread). it didn’t even tick a lifter on the first start up, it ran like it was shut off the day before to be honest. these engines are runners.

all i had to do for the engine side of things was a new fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel filter, dizzy cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and gasket rebuild kit for the tbi. i’ve started it and ran it probably 50 times since then and the only time i ever heard it even bog was because i didn’t fully connect the injector harness back onto the injector lol

JTMiller13

Reaction score
Welcome,

Before assuming she's tired (360K km maybe yes, maybe no) check all the basics. You could start with a compression test to determine overall health of the engine. Then check fuel pressure (will require a test kit with an adapter that will work with your TBI setup; you T it in at the fuel filter, which you could also replace while you're there.) Once compression and fuel pressure are confirmed good, give it a tune-up with quality parts. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter. Consider thermostat and coolant temperature sensor (the one on the intake that feeds the ECM, not the one in the cylinder head that feeds the dash gauge.) Check for any bad vacuum lines. Fix any exhaust leaks and see that the O2 sensor is working properly (goes rich/lean on scanner frequently once warmed up.)

Outside of the engine, be sure your brakes aren't dragging - particularly the front brakes, which are susceptible to dragging and eventually locking up due to failed flex hoses restricting fluid flow return to the master cylinder.

Richard
Wow! Really nice read, I will reference this before I continue my work. Thank you for your thoughts Richard, very helpful

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree, I worked on a 454 TBI in a Fleetwood Bounder a few years ago. It had over 200K pulling around a 30+ ft motorhome. After some tune up work it still ran great. I found zero signs the engine had ever been out.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Smartest man I ever knew told me “Worn out” engines are “loose enough” to run good.