I think my TBI 454's injectors exploded... need injector/regulator recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junkie2100

Reaction score
so, ill try my best not to ramble on, but basically i was messing with my truck, which has been running like garbage for a while now, has a 1991-92 gen v tbi 454 in it, not original engine so thats why not 100% on the year, it did however run perfectly fine for years so its not a build issue, fuel system has been MOSTLY overhauled, and after running without temp sensor plugged in because it threw a code 15 the other day, where it had an extra 10 degrees of timing at 25 as apposed to the normal 15, i plugged it back in, without resetting the computer or anything and it wouldnt start them POP and a big **** of what i thought was smoke, turns out it seemed to be fuel vapor. now, it could just be the timing was so far off, but it seemed like the injector blew and i did accidentally run about 90 psi to it at one point... return line got plugged and new pump is a little more powerful than stock, so thoughts on that are welcome, havent tried to run it since i almost exploded yesterday so i cant say for certain, may try starting with the coil unhooked see if it tries to kill me again but i think i need new injectors, and if possible an external return style regulator

now, im not exactly working with a big budget at this point, but i cant just let the truck sit and rot i need my truck working, so if anyone has any ideas, or knows what kind of injectors would be best to be able to handle higher psi's without exploding or where to get an inexpensive but reliable external regulator, im running -6an fittings currently and im shooting for something between like 15-40 psi adjustment if at all possible, wish i could go for a low pressure one for like $20 but obviously this thing needs at least like 15psi. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FOR FOOQUE'S SAKE DO NOT "UNHOOK" THE COIL WIRE!!!!!!

The last thing you need is a fuel-mist cloud, and sparks flying off the end of the coil wire.

Disconnecting the small-wire connector from the coil should be OK, but I'd suggest grounding the coil wire.

I would not expect that TBI injectors would "explode", but it may be that you popped an O-ring seal. It's even more likely that you just had a backfire through the intake, and the pressurized intake blew a cloud of fuel vapor all over.

Running with the temp sensor disconnected will result in the computer thinking that it's forty degrees below zero, and a wildly-rich fuel mix. Yup, it'll run bad if it runs at all.

Why do you need so much fuel pressure? You haven't described any engine mods that would make that advantageous.

Junkie2100

Reaction score
dont necessarily need that much fuel pressure at the moment only slight modifications so far like exhaust and air intake, but my fuel pump went out and my lines were rotted so i replaced the fuel pump and lines, ended up with an "edelbrock" kit, walbro gss342 and an adapter... good quality, should be reliable and future proof because i dont enjoy dropping the fuel tank, but it puts out about a max of 90 psi if unregulated and **** happens, especially with a standard motor products stock style regulator meant for the stock fuel pump and ****. plus as far as the 15-40 thing the stock pressure is like 13 so with any modifications at all that require more fuel id need to go higher than that, 15 is a good starting point for the lowest youd ever really want to go on a stock engine, mind you if there is one that starts at 13 thats great but generally speaking the regulators i see are either like 1-9psi which is way too low, or 15+ but the 15+ regulators ive seen are hundreds of dollars the only cheap ones are the 1-9psi crap
as far as the backfire thing yes it is very possible like i said the timing was WAY off after running it without the temp sensor, i just wanted to see if the readings were the same as when i caught it malfunctioning before without it unplugged, it ran, just not well, then i hooked it back up and it may very well have freaked out on me but it also freaked me out so i havent touched it since, as you said, big cloud of gas vapor can be VERY bad lol, i dont fancy blowing up

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wish i could go for a low pressure one for like $20 but obviously this thing needs at least like 15psi. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
You can get an 18 or 28 LB spring and run it with an AFPR in the stock location. I've run both, the 18 will go from 15 - 20 PSI and the 28 will go from ~25 - 30 PSI with this set up, Fuel Pressure Adapter, Gauge, and Adjustable Regulator.

You can send your injectors to Mr Injector to be cleaned and flow tested

Here's what it looked like when I was running a 28 PSI spring from a 94 - 95 454 TBI spring. Right now, I'm running an 18 LB spring @20 PSI with an EP381 fuel pump for Vortec engines. I adjusted my VE tables each time using a WBO2 sensor to achieve Stoich AFRs. I would not use an external AFPR unless I absolutely had to. It's simple, just don't block your return line, ha ha.
You must be registered for see images attach

Junkie2100

Reaction score
youd think it was that easy... wasnt for me apparently lol. i fixed it quickly but yea it was definitely holding at 90psi for a minute there till i released the pressure and fixed the return line issue. but thank you i will look into those things, also need to start with replacing the stupid temp sensor which i know had an issue in the first place. and yea i mean as long as the stock regulator can release enough pressure and it can be made adjustable in the right range im good with that, my original stock one i made adjustable but not exactly easy... you have to remove the whole damned thing from the truck to use a screwdriver on the adjustment screw. but i needed a new gasket and it was literally the same exact cost to get a new regulator that came with a gasket or buy the rebuild kit for the pods so i went with a new regulator. i assume the adjustable one there you drill through the metal under the stock regulator to get the adjustment knob through?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i assume the adjustable one there you drill through the metal under the stock regulator to get the adjustment knob through?
Yes, and bend the MAP vacuum tube down a little. You still need to take the 3 mounting screws out and tip the TB to get to the adjusting screw but, it's not too bad, I have enough slack in the fuel lines to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 10