Tips on bodywork

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could someone give me advice on a course of action for dealing with rusted out fenders. They are pretty rusted but I would like to bring them back to original shape rust free without replacing the bedsides or putting in a patch.

blue_92_sierra

Aftermath
Reaction score
Pics? Best advice I think I can give is to find another bed that's rust free. Rust will most likely come back sooner or later unless its just in its first stages and just starting to bubble. Then it can be controlled if body work is done right

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cut it out and replace it or it's gonna come back.

you can grind and fiberglass all you want but it's gonna come back.

Cut it out and patch panel, change beds, or bedsides that's it.

Anything else is just cover up and won't last more then a year or so.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
IMO for rusty fenders...... add fender flares and hope it holds out going past the flares...
and if you dont like flares then replacement parts or another bed thats rust free. welding in patch panels IS NO WAY IN HELL A BEGINNER THING! sheet metal can be a real PITA to weld and grind! your far better by replacing the whole bedside since those are held in by spot welds which are far easier to control heat and harder to warp!!!!!

body work can really go wrong quick when it comes to welding in patch panels. to much heat from welding OR grinding can warp the whole panel quickly and make a small panel a huge headache!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can replace crap without welds now tho, using panel bonding ahesives. So no heat, no warpage, no bad welds etc.

I don't use the crap tho. I got a welder so I just weld it in now.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
you can replace crap without welds now tho, using panel bonding ahesives. So no heat, no warpage, no bad welds etc.

I have to agree with you, the glue is the way to go. dont matter what panels you put on it will not come off if the glue is bonded between bare metal to both sides

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Make sure if you do start cutting crap out and replacing it though, make sure you get the inner and outer metal pieces so they match up.

radical7

admitted truck *****
Reaction score
what swims said, they have some badass epoxy out there now.
and like said above we need pics of the rust

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I never updated....been awhile lol. I ended up cutting out all the rust and replacing with new steel mesh, bondo. Cab corners and rockers are done too. Thanks for the help