Timing HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjk1500

Reaction score
I just replaced my intake manifold today and I put everything back together and went over it and over it to make sure it was right. I tried starting it and It wouldn't start . The ground wire to the back of the engine would smoke and smoke every time I tried starting it. I think my timing is off because the plugs on the distributer cap are right but I think its the timing Im not to sure though. Could this be my timing being way off? Thanks

kjk1500

Reaction score
I have no Idea I've never messed with timing before. I do know the cap is on the right way but under it with the plate and cap that could be 180 degrees backwards I never notice it going in a certain way.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Just mess with the timing, advancing and retarding it and see what goes better. Once you get pointed in the right direction it'll be easier.

kjk1500

Reaction score
So turn cap 180 degreese the other way? Im getting a timing light tomorrow will that help me solve this?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what year/engine is the truck we're talking about?

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes people put it in backwards. That timing light will be a huge help, just wait until then before you start messing with it.

kjk1500

Reaction score
Its a 1994 tbi 350, It probably is backwards does it matter what way the distributer cap is?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
pull #1 plug and put finger over hole, have someone tap the starter a couple times till air comes out the hole, you should be tdc at #1

then pull cap and see where the rotor is pointing, it should be about the 5 oclock position and #1 wire should be in that spot as well