Throttle position sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frisco

Reaction score
so i have a code for tps low voltage. so i went ahead and replace it no change tested all the wiring all good so i did some research and saw a thread on a different forum that a lot of the brands have problems out of the box so im seeing if anyone has any suggestions on good brands that last and actually work out of the box. (1995 silverado 350c tbi)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A "code" for TPS sensor does not mean the TPS sensor is defective. You could easily have a problem with the wire harness or the computer itself.

MAYBE you really do have a defective sensor, and replaced it with another defective "new" sensor. Too many car parts come from Communist China, and they're bottom-feeder garbage. Some of it comes from China, and it's workable/usable.

Maybe the new sensor is installed improperly. Maybe mice chewed the wiring somewhere you haven't seen. Maybe the ECM fried.

As said...connect a scan tool, find out what the computer "code" is hinting at.

Last edited:

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Had a tps code once,connected a scanner and watched the graph...then sowly pressed on the gas pedal,watched the graph and then up about half way it had a big drop out...replaced it,stil had problems.Fiddled with the wires near the connector and saw an even bigger drop out.Followed the wire backwards from the connector and found two wires melted together,seperated them and all ok.Needless to say I replaced the connector and harness.Food for thought.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the age of the C/K, the likelihood of there being wiring issues as the cause of DTCs dramatically increases. The insulation on a 20-year old plus wiring harness is very prone to cracking, moreso if exposed to oils and/or heat.

You definitely need to inspect the harness.

Frisco

Reaction score
A "code" for TPS sensor does not mean the TPS sensor is defective. You could easily have a problem with the wire harness or the computer itself.

MAYBE you really do have a defective sensor, and replaced it with another defective "new" sensor. Too many car parts come from Communist China, and they're bottom-feeder garbage. Some of it comes from China, and it's workable/usable.

Maybe the new sensor is installed improperly. Maybe mice chewed the wiring somewhere you haven't seen. Maybe the ECM fried.

As said...connect a scan tool, find out what the computer "code" is hinting at.
alright so here is what I have done first i replaced the sensor then after that didnt work I tested the connector gets 5v good ground and i jumped 5v to signal and got tps high voltage code I checked the wiring best I could and still no luck so im just kinda stumped on this one

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alright so here is what I have done first i replaced the sensor then after that didnt work I tested the connector gets 5v good ground and i jumped 5v to signal and got tps high voltage code I checked the wiring best I could and still no luck so im just kinda stumped on this one

Put a scan tool on it. Watch the values reported by the ECU as you slowly move the throttle from closed to WOT.

Study the earlier posts, you've been given good advice.

I'm just repeating what's been said.