This question keeps coming up .. does anyone know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I just did the heater core cover repair with the Oatey ABS cement and then sanded the excess and sprayed gloss black on it.. I also repaired my fairing on my Goldwing using this. and you can save the sanding dust and chips from abs and drop into Acetone to create a paste/glue. It takes a couple of days to dissolve though, so use a mason jar and lids to set it aside while it happens. When making a seam you can use fiberglass screen to back it and give the glue something to form to and hold. since it is on the back side and out of sight only the front side needs to be prettied up. lol

I have some trim scraps that will be dropping into an acetone bottle pretty soon. I really want to try that one on a few cracks. I am not sure about using 87 pieces. I used to own a '73 but don't remember how much from the 73-87 platform would move to the 88 and above.

One point to remember though is that the older the plastic is the more brittle it is likely to be. There should be enough GMT-400's at the yards that going back that far should not be necessary except in a special case (like a free parts truck) . I am still driving my truck from my recliner til the weather clears so most of my Junkyard prowling will be when warmer weather hits.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another adhesive for plastics is JB Weld Plastic Bonder or PlasticWeld. The Plastic Bonder comes in tan or black color and PlasticWeld comes in translucent yellow, can't remember if black is an option. The JB Weld products are available at most auto parts stores but the best price I have found is at Wally World.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
Having my headliner re-covered, I found by only removing the rear light mounting screws, the headliner just slides under it ( it may take 3 hands, but it works)

And remove the coat hook screws to get under the upper edges at the door.

( Gulf coast Florida.... 79 degrees)

You must be registered for see images attach

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having my headliner re-covered, I found by only removing the rear light mounting screws, the headliner just slides under it ( it may take 3 hands, but it works)

And remove the coat hook screws to get under the upper edges at the door.

( Gulf coast Florida.... 79 degrees)

Thanks for the procedural info .. but did you HAVE to mention the temperature? <G>

We actually had a heat wave today ... all the way up to 60 degrees! .

sgmbald1

Reaction score
I have made and used home made ABS glue out of old parts and acetone and it did ok. The next time I need to do some repair work I am going to try Plastex. You can check it out at plaster.net.