this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jawat96

Reaction score
Just installed a DJM 4/6 drop kit and ended up with a 5/7 drop as measured from the fender lip to even flat concrete surface. curious if that is normal because i've been told and read that the front will settle over time and get a little lower. i just basically replaced the entire front suspension and then did the drop kit; so all bushings in the upper and lower control arms and end links & all tie rods & all ball joints are all new. How much settling is typical? if im at 5/7 now and it settles too much more it may end up in the range of goofy looking.

Thanks.

bdubyah

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The PO of my truck had removed a leaf so that when I did my 4/6 drop, the rear was sitting on the diff. I have a set of 4x4 leafs on it now and it is about level, if not a tiny bit higher in the rear. If I went to the correct 2wd leafs, I bet it would be lower than 6" as well. The front of mine needs to be a bit lower, but I had alignment issues so I don't know about going any lower. Also, I honestly didn't notice the front settling any. It's been almost a year and a half since we dropped it, and I can't tell that it's any lower now than the day we did it.

So basically, as long as it isn't too low for you, it should be fine. It shouldn't settle enough to change anything.

jawat96

Reaction score
well sadly i didnt bother with any before pics because a bone stock 96 emerald green silverado really didnt warrant any; and now that its dropped all ive got to take pics with is a crappy cell phone; but ill see if i can scare up a real camera and snap a couple.

btw i think i found my extra drop source;i also swapped the tires to 255/60 - 15's at the same time as the drop; seems they are bout and inch shorter then stock. as long as the front doesnt settle too much it should be fine im guessing.

jawat96

Reaction score
another question;
is it normal for the rear shocks, the ones recommended for the 4/6 drop on the DJM site, to be fully extended upon install? so much extended that the axle had to be jacked up into place for them to reach the supplied shock extender mounting position?
or was the shock extender that was supplied in the kit; so that you could use factory length shocks and they arent needed when you use the shorter shocks?

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's normal to have to jack the rear end up to bolt the shocks up. If the rear end was just hanging with the tires off the ground.. if the truck was on the ground there only going to compress about 3 inches maybe less the rear end with hit the frame before the shocks ever bottom out. The shock angles on these trucks suck bad at a 6 or 7 inch drop.

jawat96

Reaction score
thanks for the reply; i also emailed norcal and he said it was normal; and yes the suspension was free hanging as i had the jack stands under the frame.

if i did this right here are a couple craptacular cell phone pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

it hasnt been washed since the install or anything, because im doing a lot of other small maintenance type things still. but ya get an idea.