This is what the inside of your brake system looks like...

I think the inside of my brake system looks

• Every bit as scummy as this

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Probably not too bad

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Perfectly shiny and clean. Go to hell Yamaben

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1990 C3500 had a brake light that I couldn't seem to make go out. After some reading, I figure that maybe the RWAL brake solenoid is causing the problem. I also figure the brake system might need an overhaul after 25 years.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanted to simply take apart the RWAL and clean it, but I broke 2 pieces trying to get it apart. Very crusty and corroded inside. Auto Zone sells a rebuilt one of these for $125. I bought it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The master cylinder was pretty scummy inside. I have rebuilt hundreds of master cylinders on motorcycles, but a whole new (not reman) M/C assembly complete with a new plastic reservoir and lid was only $53 from NAPA. The rebuild kit was $39. I bought the new one.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The calipers both had sludge build up inside. They are both pitted from corrosion too, but I think they are ok to reuse. Guess I'll find out when I go smashing through a building.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pistons were gross too

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Calipers cleaned with new seal kits installed. That rust pitting wont hurt a thing. These will work fine

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put the pistons in the ultra sonic cleaner at work, and then polished them on the lathe

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The proportioning valve had lots of sludge inside, but this picture is after I cleaned it.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always liked laying out the new parts and looking at them. It just makes me feel good to see it all lined up like that. It's just a weird, kind of obsessive thing I do, I guess.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You address a big problem on our trucks, age + a lack of maintenance. I flush every fluid every 5 years without fail.