Thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it makes you guys feel any better I sideswiped the out of my brothers car while backing out to retest the temp five minutes ago. So thank you for making me feel like crap and adding to the stress I've had today

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would that make us feel better?

You probably would have gotten a faster response here had you included the details in your first post like you did at fsc.

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like we have a dwindling community and no one wants to help each other. We should have a spot for write-ups for everything even a darn fuse. I only have access to all data 2 hours a day. I could print out and repost any thing as a write up

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This forum is a much smaller community than (ahem!) fsc.
The members with the answers to your questions may not be here right exactly when you need them. Specifics help.
We all have our own areas knowledge.

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
But if we had a spot strictly for write ups that would solve the both those issues!

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go to baker and have access to there ALL Data which is worth thousands of dollars. I can find wiring diagrams for anything and a torque spec on a darn seat belt thing!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Why would that make us feel better?

You probably would have gotten a faster response here had you included the details in your first post like you did at fsc.

Exactly, i guess we are suppose to be mind readers, since OP STILL hasn't posted what he is working on.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I feel like we have a dwindling community and no one wants to help each other.

Wrong.

Completely, totally, utterly WRONG.

Good luck on FSC, or GMFS, or Pirate, or wherever else you think is better. Most guys "here" were "there" and left "there" to post "here" for good reason....

We should have a spot for write-ups for everything even a darn fuse.

Some things are fairly basic. Like changing a fuse. Or oil and filter. Or a Tire. or a headlight. Or a belt. Or a thermostat. Hell, even changing a head gasket is not rocket science.

If you need help for that type of thing you should take it to a shop and never touch it again. Or perhaps spend a couple bucks and buy a factory service manual. Way better than anything else you will ever find. About 50 bucks on ebay can get you one and it will show you how to change or test every nut, bolt or system on the vehicle instead of asking for someone to put the spoon in your mouth every time something goes wrong.

Quality/proper tools also make a huge difference. But still won't help you if you don't have the skill to use them.

I only have access to all data 2 hours a day. I could print out and repost any thing as a write up

No thanks. Don't need it. Alldata is crap anyways. About all I've ever found them useful for is wiring diagrams and even those are "sketchy" sometimes.

You might also want to become familiar with copywrite laws before you start "reposting" whatever you want.....could save you a lot of heartache. Posting under an alias on a web forum won't help you either: if they want to find you, they will....even using a VPN won't help. It's not like it's hard to follow the online "breadcrumbs" these days.

But if we had a spot strictly for write ups that would solve the both those issues!

Guess you missed the "stickies" at the top of every sub forum. Like every other "car" based web forum.....

This is also not ALLDATA, Chiltons, Haynes or any other such resource like those. If you were paying for a service here it would be a different story, but you are not. This is a web forum, not a business or shop.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, to your cooling problem:

I assume you have gotten the two bolts off that you have been working on for hours (which I'm guessing is the tstat housing bolts). If you've snapped them off I understand (although it takes some real effort to bodge them up enough to the point they snap off), if they still have heads and you can't get them out you're doing something wrong. If a shop had them out and in before you, the only thing they could have done wrong is use red loctite. In which case you need heat to get them out. Very unlikely, no shop worth their salt would use red loctite on those. FYI, you are not going to have the resources to properly apply "heat" like I am talking about.....

If it's overheating and not cooling fast enough it's the thermostat. You've installed it wrong (backwards is very likely from your description), you've gotten a dud from the start, the gasket is hanging up the thermostat or some other installation error. Your description of the hoses reinforces this.

The other thing it could be is the water pump is wearing/worn out and not circulating coolant at the proper GPM. This is less likely from your description. I suppose it is possible the WP install got all c*cked up and a port might be partially covered, but this is also unlikely. Could also be the wrong WP installed, there are two different directions of rotation (fwd and reverse). But that Should have been fairly obvious early on.

Also remember that "bargain priced" parts are very often not the "bargain" they appear to be. Cheap parts almost always get crap results. If you bought parts based on price, they're suspect.

Bars leaks and whatever else you have running around in the system is only going to create a whole bunch of unusable problems. Pouring "crap in a can" into any system in your vehicle never turns out well. "Snake oil" is the phrase. At best, they're a "I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and I'm going to die if I don't get out of here" solution. You sacrifice what is left of the vehicle to save yourself or family. Then you do some serious maintenance work when you are safe because you've c*cked the car right up...they sacrifice long term serviceability for short term gain.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would also suggest you exercise/learn a little patience. I know that's hard when you're 17 and you're being frustrated by your vehicle, but it's a life skill you should develop.

People on this forum are not here to fix your problems. They are not at your beck and call. They do not sit at the computer screen waiting to pounce on every question.

I know your problem is right now, right in your face, and you need it fixed right now. But it's not a pressing issue in other peoples lives. And if you think about it: nothing bad happens if you don't get it fixed right now. You take a cab, you bum a ride or you use public transport if it's available. A broken car is never an "OMG my life is going to end" event no matter what you think.

But if you want someone to pay the same attention/importance to it that it is to you right now then drive it to the local garage and give them the keys. Be prepared to pay.

People on the forum are also not going to respond well to negative comments. Your thread is going on day two and you already have a couple members not happy with you. That's just not a good sign for things to come. You've insulted them with your FSC thread title, when the ones you're asking here are the same ones you're asking there.

Your time stamp on FSC is also 4 mins before the time stamp on your first post in this thread. So you said GMT400.com was no help before you even asked here and then you still posted here. Not cool brother, not cool at all. Not easy to hide that kind of thing. It's the internet, remember?

There are very knowledgeable people here in a wide variety of automotive areas, but you have to treat them like people, not a a paid resource.

I'm not trying to dump on you. I'm actually trying to help. In both fixing your truck and trying to show you what's going wrong in this thread.

Last point I want to reinforce: Buy a factory service manual if you plan to work on your own vehicle. It will make your life much easier.

Last edited: