Thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I said that I was working on the thermostat and I'm talking about my 5 other threads I don't get any responses on I'm hoping fullsize chevy has a larger base of users that are open to giving me assistance

We can tell your working on the thermostat....

What we mean by what are you working on is what is the truck?? Just because your screen name has 96 at the end of it are we to "ass u me" you are working on a 96????

So in plain English.... What vehicle are you working on. Year, make, model, motor size, etc. I bet all data can not help you at all with out that info... So how do you think we can help you with out it... For all we know you could be trying to get the thermostat out of a delorean....

Sent from what use to be a great country.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I have been working on these bolts for an hour. Any ideas? Do I need RTV when I actually get the housing back on?

OK, read your FSC thread.

No problems and then you changed the thermostat.

Then overheating issues.

The problem is in the thermostat.

It's not working right or you c*cked up the install.

That's all there is to that.

Also: for everyone else's info:

FSC said:
I have left the GMT400 forum and came here because I rarely ever get any help there. In the past 6 months I have replaced my water pump and my radiator. After the radiator replacement I got very low temps for about a month so two days ago I decided to change the engine temperature sensor that goes to the dash. Which increased my temps from 110 on average to 130. Last night I replaced the thermostat, applying RTV lightly as well as using a new gasket. I spent all of today blurping out air. I drove the truck to work after it had been running for two hours driving around or blurping the air running at a steady 230 before I left work I checked the radiator which was not low at all. I drove for 15 minutes then had to stop twice from overheating then the temp kept fluctuating from 230 to 215 the rest of the 10 minute drive. the thermostat didn't open the way normal vehicles do it didn't go from 230 down from 195 in 5 minutes it took 10 minutes just to get up to 210 and proceeded to increase from there. The top hose was hot but not hard. Bottom hose was cold!
-97 sierra 4x4 350 vortec
-195 degree thermostat
-no leaks

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
double post. Mods please delete.

Last edited:

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
I see the help at the other forum is much better....lol...Some responses from their members

"Okay...I see the problem now (with why you had problems at GMT400)....you don't tell the whole story up front...
So you had problems (coolant leaks), then cheaped out and put sh1tty Bars Leak in your engine, then finally replaced an expensive Radiator and Water pump without flushing that crap out first...so now you clogged up your new radiator and ruined a new thermostat...and may have damaged a new water pump....because you couldn't be bothered to clean the system before replacing all those parts...
Saved $10.00 on chemical cleaners to spend $50.00 to have your radiator disassembled and rodded...
Okay, good luck, I'm out."

"More information that you didn't give up front. If you want help, you need to disclose the whole story.
If it was done at a shop, and you paid for the work to be done...take it back, cause it ain't right. "

"Its important to start from the beginning of any issues. Even if it don't seem important. As a rule of thumb if something breaks, then their is a reason that needs to be corrected before placing a new part in its place. If you took your truck to the shop and they put bars leak in it, then you got screwed. Flush your system completely. Check your heater core, ect. That stuff is known for blocking everything but the leak. Once that is done come back.
I can tell your upset about your truck, but you really came across wrong. Just take a step back and calm down. "

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They gave me a faulty thermostat. I'll flush the entire system wednesday and replace clutch fan. Sorry if anyone was offended by my actions. I'm running no thermostat until tonight when I get the new one.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Test new t-stat before you use it. Look at the copper bottom and there will be a #. 165-180-190...... Whatever that number is should be where the thermostat opens. Suspend it in a pan of water with a candy thermometer and make sure thats when it opens. Dont let it settle to bottom of pan, too hot there and you'll get inaccurate readings.

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the new one put it in and it was still over heating so I pulled it so my instructor could look at it tomorrow and the darn thread gave out coolant started leaking everywhere. So I pulled the housing RTVed it and put lock tight on the bolts so I can get it 17 miles to baker. In the mean time I broke that ground wire on the thing as well. I stripped the wire and regrounded it with an alligator clip to the radiator hose clamp. I probably will never work on this truck again everything is going wrong. Any suggestions on how I can make it 17 miles to the shop? I am going to have to retap that hole arn't I?
'

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New bolt and just chase the threads to clean them up, if that doesn't hold then you may have to tap a little bigger. If you clipped ground wire to a hose clamp thats on a rubber hose then it's not grounded, clip it to an intake bolt somewhere. Keep working on your truck, step away when it makes you crazy, we all understand frustration.

wesbest96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're the man! I'll let you guys know if I blow a head gasket on the way to baker tomorrow or not!