The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rule of thumb; if you drop more than 4", you have to frame notch. Rule#2; if the load you want to carry required assistance (i.e. Bags or overloads) when you were at stock height, it will also be required when dropped. Rule#3; always run as stiff a shock as you can if you're dropping more than 4" and you are carrying loads-the shock is no longer at an optimum angle to work correctly.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone running full airride know how much air it takes to fill all corners without running the compressor? For example is it 5 gallons at 175 psi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D_EATON

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking for some help, have a 89 scsb with axel flip kit, drop shackles and the c notch installed. The truck has A 14 bolt 5 lug rear end out of 90ss truck but my problem is at the ride height I have and want I only have 2" of clearance between the frame and rear end. Wondering if the bell tech air jack bit would work to stiffing the ride up to prevent the rear end and frame hitting or if any other kit would work?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In normal driving (and with a good set of shocks), you shouldnt bottom out that much. But if you are, what I did was get an overload airbag set up. Doesnt really raise you up, but stiffens the suspension up a bit. It will also raise you back up to ride height if you put a load in it.

D_EATON

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In normal driving (and with a good set of shocks), you shouldnt bottom out that much. But if you are, what I did was get an overload airbag set up. Doesnt really raise you up, but stiffens the suspension up a bit. It will also raise you back up to ride height if you put a load in it.

i just have the belltech shocks that came with the kit, any suggestions on better shocks or overload air bag set up? im looking thru qa1 website now at shocks.

Reaction score
I have a 92 silverado with a bell tech 4/6 drop. professionally done 14 years ago rides like a Caddy! I would like to go with a 5/7 drop now here is my concern 1) Will i be sacrificing my ride quality? 2) Will pinion angle have to be re set? 3) What will it take to lower the rear that one inch? 4) Will a 3" dropped set of coil springs up front do the job? (I will be rebushing my front end shortly) 4/6 is cool but 5/7 looks cooler I have Eagle alloy 17's and plan on going back to original stock factory rally 15's But if it means having to nurse my truck up and down the road and being a pain to drive I'll keep the 4/6 thanks all in put will be appreciated.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your ride will not be much worse if not at all. To lower the front use 3" drop springs. If you lowered it with lowering control arms before, junk them. Put stock control arms with the rain gutter trimmed to clear the 15s with 2" drop spindles. To lower the rear use a shackle I think it's called. Your pinion angle should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
17's probably don't require the rain gutters to be trimmed, but I'd still be checking the clearances. Get the stick-on style weights when the wheels are balanced. The clip-on style have a tendency to get knocked off by the LCA's.
A 1" additional drop via a longer shackle may or may not require a pinion wedge to correct that angle. The nose of the pinion will angle down more with that. This seems to vary between truck to truck so that should be checked. If it is out, the resulting vibration will tell you for sure. The pinion angle on a 6" drop is built into the kit, but if you go lower, then that angle has been modified from the original design. Maybe/probably only need a 1-1.5 degree wedge. With a wedge that shallow, longer U-bolts would not be required. The wide end of the wedge would be towards the front of the vehicle.