The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A'68 Z/28 would have originally come with a 302, not a 350. The GM 302 was a destroked 327 built to compete in the SCCA Trans-Am series, and was found in all Gen 1 Z/28's, which were built as such to meet homologation requirements for the series.

The 350 from your pickup will physically bolt in, but may not have provisions for a mechanical fuel pump that you would need for a carbureted engine.

So if I read right I could use the block, probably have to custom fab the engine mounts though. But the camaro's carb. intake might not work with my truck's 350 block?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if I read right I could use the block, probably have to custom fab the engine mounts though. But the camaro's carb. intake might not work with my truck's 350 block?

No, the mounts will be fine and should bolt to the 350 without issue. The block's physical dimensions are the same, just the TBI 350 block may not have the mounting holes and pushrod slot for a mechanical fuel pump. You'll have to look at it to see if it simply has a block off plate over the pump mounting area or is not machined for a pump. The carb intake would also have to have the center mounting holes drilled for TBI heads, as their center two intake manifold bolts are more vertical than the carb heads' intake bolts. Oil dipstick may also be on a different side, depending on whether the Camaro currently has a pre 1980 block or not.

dlytle

Reaction score
From what I can see it is a V8 so if it's stock it is either a 5.0L (305) or a 5.7L (350)

Either check the VIN or look behind the intake manifold on the rear of the block for a 5.0 or 5.7 casting number (usually under about .5" of crap and need a mirror or flex camera to see it)

Thanks i checked the vin and it says 5.7. But i don’t know if it is the stock engine. At least I know how to tell for sure now. It has been bugging me not knowing.
Thanks
Danny

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
would my 1989 k1500 tbi 350 work in a 1968 camaro Z/28 originally with a 350?

BTW I already established i'm no good with engines hence why I'm in the stupid questions thread :lol:

The long block would physically work, but the bigger question is why you would want to use that engine in a 68 Z28? "Free" does not make something a good engine choice.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, the mounts will be fine and should bolt to the 350 without issue. The block's physical dimensions are the same, just the TBI 350 block may not have the mounting holes and pushrod slot for a mechanical fuel pump. You'll have to look at it to see if it simply has a block off plate over the pump mounting area or is not machined for a pump. The carb intake would also have to have the center mounting holes drilled for TBI heads, as their center two intake manifold bolts are more vertical than the carb heads' intake bolts. Oil dipstick may also be on a different side, depending on whether the Camaro currently has a pre 1980 block or not.

well I will defiantly keep this in mind if we even think about trying this. But first I have to get the new engine in my truck.

The long block would physically work, but the bigger question is why you would want to use that engine in a 68 Z28? "Free" does not make something a good engine choice.

I agree, "free" isn't the best choice, but this 68 camaro that I have looked at since I was 5 yrs old, hasn't even been attempted to run, in my presence, or even moved. Since I was going to have an engine out of my truck soon, and if it isn't too much of a hassle, slap her in the camaro and see if she runs or moves, besides that if my dad even lets me touch it.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
What plugs and wires should I run on my 350 tbi? I heard 'downwashere' gained 3 mpg form using napa high mileage and acdelco rapid fires. His is a Vortec though. I would probably go with Napa's red wires for a little better look :shrug:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What plugs and wires should I run on my 350 tbi? I heard 'downwashere' gained 3 mpg form using napa high mileage and acdelco rapid fires. His is a Vortec though. I would probably go with Napa's red wires for a little better look :shrug:

He probably gained 2.99mpg due to it was time for a tune up

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I think mine is too. I'm just wondering if certain plugs and wires have more effect on a tbi vs a vortec, etc....

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

AC Delco, Advance stocks the plugs, wires and cap/rotor

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
So ACDelco plugs and just any ole wires from advance, napa, etc?