The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88C1500

Reaction score
so my harmonic balancer has been starting to go out (replacing it wednesday) but I was wondering if it can also cause a loss of power. The past week its been less and less responsive when you get on it

PossumJr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than keeping the plug wires off the manifolds, is that heat shielding necessary ? I'm real tired of tearing my hands up on them.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
would my 1989 k1500 tbi 350 work in a 1968 camaro Z/28 originally with a 350?

BTW I already established i'm no good with engines hence why I'm in the stupid questions thread :lol:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A'68 Z/28 would have originally come with a 302, not a 350. The GM 302 was a destroked 327 built to compete in the SCCA Trans-Am series, and was found in all Gen 1 Z/28's, which were built as such to meet homologation requirements for the series.

The 350 from your pickup will physically bolt in, but may not have provisions for a mechanical fuel pump that you would need for a carbureted engine.

dlytle

Reaction score
help with identification

I had bought my truck used and can tell that there has been a lot of work done. From reading my Haynes manual I think the engine is a 5.2 v8 but i am not sure can someone help me identify this engine?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

thanks

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a 4.3L V6, at least from the fan shroud and upper radiator hose.

88C1500

Reaction score
Okay not sure if this will even work hence why im asking but a friend of mines dad has a 396 bored .30 into a 402. Idk what year exactly or what needs done to it. But would it worth rebuilding and putting in my 88? Or should I just stick with my plan of making mine into a 383 stroker?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming you aren't using crap heads and low compression pistons, the big block would have a better torque curve and hence be a lot more fun in a truck. Besides, who doesn't like to see a BBC under the hood ( unless you're paying for the gas, that is)?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had bought my truck used and can tell that there has been a lot of work done. From reading my Haynes manual I think the engine is a 5.2 v8 but i am not sure can someone help me identify this engine?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

thanks

From what I can see it is a V8 so if it's stock it is either a 5.0L (305) or a 5.7L (350)

Either check the VIN or look behind the intake manifold on the rear of the block for a 5.0 or 5.7 casting number (usually under about .5" of crap and need a mirror or flex camera to see it)