The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really have no idea, I am not sure if you can get them tested or just get a new one. DOes it run worse after it has rained at all or damp out?

Well I am not sure if yours has the old style unit or not

Swans.2000.3500

Trainwreck
Reaction score
Can I run my truck without the EGR hosing and without deleting the EGR from the computer or does it mess something up? The engine block will have a plug in it and I will have LT headers on it.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
From what I understand you should be ok to do that. But you check engine light may come one. I'm not sure it will mess anything up except the flow of dirty ass air coming into the intake. :yuck:

Crewcab Steve.

Kevin11

Reaction score
I got a p0340 code las night,looked it up and it says my camshaft sensor is malfunctioning. Could this be my problem? I'm gonna by the sensor and replace it. Thank you Blue for all the helpful advice bro.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can I run my truck without the EGR hosing and without deleting the EGR from the computer or does it mess something up? The engine block will have a plug in it and I will have LT headers on it.

You can unhook it all, need to block any openings though and best to get it tuned out or you will have the check engine light on.

I got a p0340 code las night,looked it up and it says my camshaft sensor is malfunctioning. Could this be my problem? I'm gonna by the sensor and replace it. Thank you Blue for all the helpful advice bro.

This is a common issue and will cause a miss under load, replace that and should be good, no problem, I know tracking down stuff sucks, but you didn't waste money, all you replaced needed it.

Swans.2000.3500

Trainwreck
Reaction score
So with everything plugged (EGR plug) the only problem will be the check engine light, is this the case if i leave the downstream O2 sensors out? I will get a tune soon after my new exhaust but am going to have to drive around for a week without these codes erased from my computer

Last edited:

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So with everything plugged (EGR plug) the only problem will be the check engine light, is this the case if i leave the downstream O2 sensors out? I will get a tune soon after my new exhaust but am going to have to drive around for a week without these codes erased from my computer

Right, if you get a tune then get the rear ones tuned out, they do nothing for the engine, just monitor the cats, the pre cat o2s are very important, yes you can leave them out and unplug, wont hurt a thing.

Hey blue,do you know anything about the MAP sensor?

They need to be cleaned every once and a while, I woul get a can of throttle body cleaner to use on it.

Enginebuilder

Reaction score
I have a 42 gallon tank on my Suburban. Is it best to keep it topped off or to just keep 10-20 gallons in it, or does it even matter? I've heard a few different opinions and don't really know what to believe. Thanks.

Historically, a fuel tank that is kept perpetually below full will tend to develop rust on the inside, due to condensation. This has been mitigated some by better galvanizing technology. Keeping the fuel at a low level also tends to concentrate any loose particles in the fuel tank; this *could* lead to premature fuel pump & fuel filter failure.

Either of the above problems are atypical, meaning you won't likely experience a problem either way. My suggestion though, is to keep your tank full, refilling when the gauge reaches 3/4. Not for any technical reason, but purely from a preparedness standpoint- if a sudden storm occurs, or other type of natural disaster, the last place you want to be headed is to the gas station. If you make a practice of refilling after only using a 1/4 tank, you'll always have a ready reserve...

jadaven

Reaction score
When I bought my 91 w/350 the prvious owner said it needed the heads rebuilt / replaced. I ran seafoam through it, Lots of smoke, but the part that bothered me was the black goo that spewed from where the manifolds connect to the y pipe. Anyone think I should be looking into a replacement engine or a set of heads?