The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1990 305

Reaction score
ok its been a few but its a spider injector which is new, new distributer cap and rotor. new IAC,new TPS, new spark control. timing is spot on..still starts but wont run if only for a second. plugs do smell like gas too. any ideas?
So it seems gas is getting to the cylinder, im guessing "new spark control" is the ICM or the coil. I just went through buying all the same parts as you (excluding the injector) and still had terrible timing and backfire issues even after finding TDC. There is a camshaft position sensor that is just under the rotor in the distributor(the 4 pin connectorthat plugs into distributor). I had to pull my distributor and replace that sensor and everything started working after that. Did you happen to do anything with that?

Intimi88tr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it seems gas is getting to the cylinder, im guessing "new spark control" is the ICM or the coil. I just went through buying all the same parts as you (excluding the injector) and still had terrible timing and backfire issues even after finding TDC. There is a camshaft position sensor that is just under the rotor in the distributor(the 4 pin connectorthat plugs into distributor). I had to pull my distributor and replace that sensor and everything started working after that. Did you happen to do anything with that?
I started too! Until the screws that came with the new sensor snapped off at the head. I swear I didn't over tighten them! anyways I'm going to order a new distributor tomorrow.

1990 305

Reaction score
I started too! Until the screws that came with the new sensor snapped off at the head. I swear I didn't over tighten them! anyways I'm going to order a new distributor tomorrow.
Good luck, and make sure to reference all positions of the existing one(rotor and sensor plug directions) if you know timing is correct, saves alot of time when dropping the new one in. Hope its not a 454 like mine, there is just enough room to scrape your hands on everything during replacement.

Intimi88tr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck, and make sure to reference all positions of the existing one(rotor and sensor plug directions) if you know timing is correct, saves alot of time when dropping the new one in. Hope its not a 454 like mine, there is just enough room to scrape your hands on everything during replacement.
Thank you! Its a v6 but it looks like its gonna be just as tight!

Marco Spoon

Reaction score
Hello all. Can anyone help identify this part/sensor that the blue line points to? The nipple that the vacuum hose connects to broke off. The truck is a 1992 c1500 305 TBI. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20240404_101930.jpg
    20240404_101930.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting and EBL Flash 2 conversion done on my truck. Seems to run fine except for a code that doesn't make sense (Code 52, from what I can see that is either a trans code or the Fuel CALPAk not working but the truck is fine) Just seeing if anyone has any real world MPG with a 1995 4wd 5.7 with an NV3500. I know the truck will never get great mileage but I get around 10 since I mainly drive in town. On the highway I get around 12 or so. I also have 33's on it so that definitely doesn't help. Seeing if the upgrade will pay off in the long run.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
89 350ci.

Starter is dragging (I think... Battery and alt test good).

I read you can upgrade to a newer (98+) starter and all you need is new bolts.

Does anyone have a link for this? I really dont want to order the wrong one.

Thanks!

Last edited: