The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the electronic spark control module and ignition control module? On of them is on the distributor and the other is on a bracket with the MAP sensor.
Here's how they are wired. The ESC tells the ECM/PCM when it senses Knock, the ECM retards the timing as per tables in the calibration. The ICM converts the sine wave pulses from the distributor pick up coil to digital square wave and sends it to the ECM which adjusts timing (and turns on the fuel pump) accordingly to the SA tables in the calibration. Neither module has any brains, the ECM does all the thinking.

You must be registered for see images attach

jeff1953

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guy's I have another stupid one, so I have a 1997 vertex 350 in a 1984 GMC truck and it spun a bearing so I pulled the motor clear apart to rebuild, now that i'm down inside the motor #7 cylinder it's all pitted and crappy looking, look's like one that had water sitting in it but the truck has been running for about 5 years until now, what would cause this, thank you all very much.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guy's I have another stupid one, so I have a 1997 vertex 350 in a 1984 GMC truck and it spun a bearing so I pulled the motor clear apart to rebuild, now that i'm down inside the motor #7 cylinder it's all pitted and crappy looking, look's like one that had water sitting in it but the truck has been running for about 5 years until now, what would cause this, thank you all very much.
Leaking head gasket allowing coolant to flow back into the cylinder after the engine is shut down.

brianblanton

Reaction score
Post here if you have a simple question. This will help keep track of common info and reduce clutter.
I own a 1995 chevy suburban. I have rebuilt the tbi, but the sleeve that fits over the top of the tbi under the air cleaner has a gasket on the bottom of it. I think it is the egr. I need to replace the gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 1995 chevy suburban. I have rebuilt the tbi, but the sleeve that fits over the top of the tbi under the air cleaner has a gasket on the bottom of it. I think it is the egr. I need to replace the gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We need a pic. I can't deduce what you're talking about.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have rebuilt the tbi, but the sleeve that fits over the top of the tbi under the air cleaner has a gasket on the bottom of it. I think it is the egr. I need to replace the gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you're talking about the round gasket between the spacer and the Throttle Body, it's called an air cleaner gasket.
www.oreillyauto.com/search/v/a/3006/automotive-truck-1995-chevrolet-c1500-pickup-rwd?q=air+cleaner+gasket

If you want a gasket for the EGR, this is what you want. The EGR is mounted on top of the intake manifold behind the TB.
www.oreillyauto.com/search/v/a/3006/automotive-truck-1995-chevrolet-c1500-pickup-rwd?q=EGR+gasket

brianblanton

Reaction score
i think that's pretty cool! (your ending comment.) I am looking for the rubber formed gasket that sits right on top of the tbi, but it is in the form of a T. It fits around the spacer, and provides a good seal from air coming in. It "Looks" like it is the egr return air, built into the spacer. I haven't gone to the auto parts place yet, but it is next on the agenda tomorrow.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score