The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tried to put it my hids today. i hooked everything up and turned on my lights and they didnt fire. I do have day time running lights on my 98 gmc sierra. Any ideas?

Did you try flipping the female headlamp connectors on the HID's 180*? HID's are polarity sensitive unlike incandescent and halogen lighting, so if the negative and positive headlight leads don't line up correctly to the leads going to the ballast, the ballast will not ignite the bulb.

Also if you have DRL'S your going to want to either disable them or install a Heavy Duty headlight harness which would allow you to retain use of the drl with HID's!

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also if you have DRL'S your going to want to either disable them or install a Heavy Duty headlight harness which would allow you to retain use of the drl with HID's!
Wow ... never thought of that ... But me and Mike (MOBS) disabled that before we installed the HIDS ...
Thanks ...

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow ... never thought of that ... But me and Mike (MOBS) disabled that before we installed the HIDS ...
Thanks ...

Well without the installation of a HD Harness you are definitely going to want to disable the DRL'S, as they utilize the low beam headlamps (US Models) and run the bulb at 60%. And that is not enough voltage to ignite the HID's and will cause problems with them.

When you have a HD Headlight harness installed (that is set up properly) like the harnesses that i build, it will run the drls at 100% and deliver 13.8V+ to the HID's and allow for trouble free operation and allow you to retain DRL'S if desired!

jaymezz

Reaction score
yeah i cant get these ******* to work. They are 9006 and 9005 bulbs. I checked double checked and triple checked the wires. Checked with volt meter, these lil bass turds will not fire up :mad:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i cant get these ******* to work. They are 9006 and 9005 bulbs. I checked double checked and triple checked the wires. Checked with volt meter, these lil bass turds will not fire up >:(

Are you checking the input side of the ballast for voltage? Is your OE harness original?

Tip: Turn key to the ON position, manually turn on your headlights, then check your ballasts for voltage with your multimeter. Set your multimeter to DC 20.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a perty simple question or I think it is.. I have a B&M floorshifter that I plan to hook the reverse lights up to... On the steering column you have the neutral safety switch... If I remember right.. there is a single wire plug in and a two wire plug in.. can someone give me the info on which wires need to be ran to the shifter? or if there is just one wire?? for the reverse lights on the shifter. any info is appreciated!

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anyone got an answer?

Iirc the reverse light wire at the NSS is green. There should only be one green wire there. Turn your key on and probe the wire with a test light when the truck is in Park. The light should not illuminate. Now put the truck in reverse and probe the same wire; the test light should now illuminate!

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok that must be the single one wire connector that goes to the transmission. So when you shift that column down.. it grounds that out correct?