The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
does anybody know what the max hp a stock axle can handle? im planing on swapping out my 350 in my 95 1500 with an ls1. im sure it can handle that but i would also like in the future to throw a turbo on it. im thinking of having around 450hp total. can the rear end handle that with stock components?

If its a G80, it'll be on borrowed time, but I'd look at a 14bsf swap if I were in your place. It also depends what you plan to do for wheels and tires. If you're keeping stockers on there, no problem, but if you're going to be able to actually put that power down then you are going to need to look at at least upgrading the carrier, ring, and pinion. As stated a 14bsf is probably the smarter move as long as you're doing it, and they cheap enough its hard to come up with an excuse not to.

kewljay223

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its a G80, it'll be on borrowed time, but I'd look at a 14bsf swap if I were in your place. It also depends what you plan to do for wheels and tires. If you're keeping stockers on there, no problem, but if you're going to be able to actually put that power down then you are going to need to look at at least upgrading the carrier, ring, and pinion. As stated a 14bsf is probably the smarter move as long as you're doing it, and they cheap enough its hard to come up with an excuse not to.

lol. well thanks for the reply. reason im laughing is because of the question you asked about tires/wheels..... i feel silly about this part but ive got 20's on 35's since my truck is lowered 4/6... no space for sidewall!! ha there are reasons for my engine choice but thats not really relevent and im not going to be using it to take to the strip. i want the horses when i need them and the tbi just doesnt have it. the LS will certainly fix most of that. but like most of us here, once you get used to the power, i know im going to want more. so a turbo is something ive been pondering for the future....MAYBE... just a maybe at this point. i got some seadoos that i tow and there is a boat that will be in my posession soon enough so i need the power for that. more torque than hp really but you get the point. a turbo would be just for fun and to kill a hemi if need be... ;) i know the LS will handle it and an upgrade kit for the tranny is needed but i just cant find anything about the axle. i just had a feeling since the tbi is so low in the power range, i figured the axle wouldnt be up to par for much more than 400 horse and would be the weakest link, hence the reason for my question. so i was wondering if it can be upgraded to handle or if something stronger is needed. so with that info, what are my options? i have a feeling im going to get some strong opinions on this setup and thats fine, just dont flame me on something that im just pondering. thats why the name of this thread is the "stupid axles quesions"!!! lol

oh and yes your right, it is a g80. but the first post in this thread doesnt clarify the ratio. just says limited slip. whats the ratio?

Last edited:

kewljay223

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok did a quick search. if im correct the GT4 code i have means 3.73's right?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Yep, 3.73 G80 10 bolt...I wouldn't try to put 450 horses through that, they're infamous for the carrier blowing to pieces randomly

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
lol. well thanks for the reply. reason im laughing is because of the question you asked about tires/wheels..... i feel silly about this part but ive got 20's on 35's since my truck is lowered 4/6... no space for sidewall!! ha there are reasons for my engine choice but thats not really relevent and im not going to be using it to take to the strip. i want the horses when i need them and the tbi just doesnt have it. the LS will certainly fix most of that. but like most of us here, once you get used to the power, i know im going to want more. so a turbo is something ive been pondering for the future....MAYBE... just a maybe at this point. i got some seadoos that i tow and there is a boat that will be in my posession soon enough so i need the power for that. more torque than hp really but you get the point. a turbo would be just for fun and to kill a hemi if need be... ;) i know the LS will handle it and an upgrade kit for the tranny is needed but i just cant find anything about the axle. i just had a feeling since the tbi is so low in the power range, i figured the axle wouldnt be up to par for much more than 400 horse and would be the weakest link, hence the reason for my question. so i was wondering if it can be upgraded to handle or if something stronger is needed. so with that info, what are my options? i have a feeling im going to get some strong opinions on this setup and thats fine, just dont flame me on something that im just pondering. thats why the name of this thread is the "stupid axles quesions"!!! lol

oh and yes your right, it is a g80. but the first post in this thread doesnt clarify the ratio. just says limited slip. whats the ratio?

G80 designates only whether or not it has the factory limited slip. The axle ratio RPO code will be GT4, GT5, GU6.. or some similar GT/GU designation.

Can the 10 bolt be built to handle the power... probably. But I would argue that it could be done much cheaper (buy a used axle and put the ratio you want in it, instead of buying a carrier, axles, etc etc for the 10 bolt) swapping in a 14bolt, which is basically a conversion u-joint away from being a bolt-in swap.

For the record I know exactly where you're coming from in engine choice. I'm working on a 5.3 swap into my K2500, and have selected a cam (228/222 on 114.5) that will allow me to boost it should the desire and funds both become a reality. I just have the luxury of already having the 14bsf under the truck, so not really a worry there for me.

All that said, if you're leaving stockish tires on it, the 10 bolt will probably last you a while assuming it doesn't gov-bomb on you... and thats really no more likely at your projected power levels than it is at your current power level. lol. I have a deep distrust of 10 bolts.. I blew one (open, not G80) in my 6.5 blazer on the freeway, at cruising speed, minimal throttle, going around a gentile curve, for reasons I still cannot explain.

edit: ninja'd on the ratio.. nice job answering your own question.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Yeah the 14b sf swap if a fairly simple one...I'm actually about to swap mine out this weekend. All you need is a conversion u-joint, axle u-bolt plates for a 14 bolt, and the axle itself from a 88-98 truck (2wd or 4wd whichever yours is). Bolts right in place of the 10 bolt besides that

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Kinda wonder how difficult it would be to swap in a 14b sf into an nbs

Sent from a padded cell in the secure ward.....trying to avoid the shock therapy...

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Idk, but I know there are tons of threads on the swap on FSC

I will need to look into it since I know where I can lay hands on a 14 b sf with a G80 and 3:73 gearing that might be worth getting either for my new nbs or to rebuild with a different locker for my sierra.

Sent from a padded cell in the secure ward.....trying to avoid the shock therapy...