The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well rear end consensus is that my Tahoe is on borrowed time. Not to mention the TC doesn't get the memo to go into 2hi.

Say I come across a complete (and I mean complete) 3/4 ton 8 lug Suburban (1998). I'm talking from rubber on the road to the driveshafts. Everything is there. Is it possible to actually cut the ears off and fab up new ones and bolt everything up? Are the floor shift TC inputs transferable from a 241 to a beefier 3/4 ton TC? Would they even bolt to a 4L60E?

I ask this because I came across a complete truck at a yard. Harness, ECU, Dash, Suspension driveline. Already got a low mile L31 I'm going to have cleaned up and I might as well swap it all to OBDII spec to make things easy. The spider and coil is still there too. How much of a PITA am I looking at and since the search function is just full of unanswered threads I'm not going to start another and ask kindly for directions to a good build thread to follow. lol

honestly once you do that your much better off just selling your 1500 and starting with a 2500

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do you tell the type of front axle off a chevy? And how do you tell the gear ratio?

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Got one for you guys. Have the tires and brakes pulled off to do some work on the truck. Had to let it sit for a few days, came back and noticed my front diff seems to be locked up. Tried to turn the hubs by hand but its not happening. Tried taking the truck in and out of of 4x4 but it hasn't made a difference. I don't want to try to roll it like this because I'm afraid I'll shred my CVs and Lord knows what else. Still new to most of this stuff so it's probably something simple, if y'all have any insight I would appreciate it :cheers: