The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pic #6 here. When I started it yesterday after sitting so long, I noticed a new tick. Ticks and 454s are kind of a big deal, so I was a little concerned but told myself just let it warm up. As it was, I put it in gear to move it forward and in gear the idle dropped noticeably. Also not good, but just let it warm up who knows? It's been sitting with a dead battery. As I was poking around though, I noticed this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure how it got that way, but plugging it back in fixed those last 2 issues. And that missing exhaust stud?

I already unsaw it. Just like all the other times. Weather is kinda crappy today, so I'll paint those mounts and do house crap. Hopefully make some progress on the truck starting again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pic #6 here. When I started it yesterday after sitting so long, I noticed a new tick. Ticks and 454s are kind of a big deal, so I was a little concerned but told myself just let it warm up. As it was, I put it in gear to move it forward and in gear the idle dropped noticeably. Also not good, but just let it warm up who knows? It's been sitting with a dead battery. As I was poking around though, I noticed this.

Not sure how it got that way, but plugging it back in fixed those last 2 issues. And that missing exhaust stud?

I already unsaw it. Just like all the other times. Weather is kinda crappy today, so I'll paint those mounts and do house crap. Hopefully make some progress on the truck starting again tomorrow.
lol.

Do any of these big block trucks not have broken exhaust studs??

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
lol.

Do any of these big block trucks not have broken exhaust studs??

I think I still have all the studs, but maybe not the whole stud? I've lost several of the 8 heat shields, and they are retained by a second nut on the manifold studs. I think at least one or two had the outer portion of the stud break, but left the inner nut. I sometimes look at those fasteners in slight fear, because removing them broken doesn't sound like fun. They're super crusty looking.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think I just unsaw 3 missing studs on the driver's side. Definitely 2. Totally a problem for future Dustin.

I don't think I showed where I'd tucked some of the excess plow controller wiring. I did show how I ran it through the core support instead of brandishing it over the fan shroud, but the brain box itself apparently gets plopped on top of the fuse box. Not on my truck.

Pop the hood and you'd be hard pressed to spot the plow wiring if you didn't know to look for it.

So once I got this thing home the other day, the intent was to repair the plow mount, clean the frame, and bolt them on. We-ell, in order to get a good swipe at the frame I needed the bumper off, which meant the grill and filler had to go. Well since I'm this deep I'd be r3t@rded not to swap on the not rotted front fenders. Then I yanked the driver's fender yesterday and found a small rust spot on the cab that it covered, yep this is a slippery slope. May as well embrace it. What better time than now to also swap in the upgraded trans cooler I've been sitting on?

That's a good looking trans cooler, and a crap looking fan. Notice all the other stuff missing? It had a similar white/rust/garbage appearance. Here's a shot from this past Spring.

This paints a better picture of all the not black that screamed through the grill. It's always driven me nuts. Here is tonight after installing yesterday's painted bits.

And if you've been paying close attention, you'll see there's a real PS cooler in there now and not @Schurkey 's favorite contraption.

This abomination was still serviceable, but I hate it on principle alone. Not only that, it was miserable to finagle out of the truck. I should have just Grape Aped the thing out, after all it's dumpster bound. Installing the actual cooler was 10x easier especially since I had the inner and outer fender removed from the driver's side. I didn't even feel the need to utter a single cuss word to get the line started on the box which typically sucks donkey b@ll$. So now I've got the fan mounts and the front center case bit curing with some satin black VHT roll bar and chassis epoxy rattle can and a proof of concept section of rot free inner fender drying as well. The replacement inner fenders are spotty looking and I think may be a time suck to getting them looking decent.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This is what I mean.

I don't think I can spray bomb directly over this and expect to be happy. Too bad about the inners the truck came with. They were plenty clean save for that one lower rear outer bolt. Both were infected with cancer, just a tiny spot sure, but nope they're trash. F00k rust. I hope to hit the 2 rust spots on the cab Wednesday with a 2 part epoxy primer to seal that off, then I can just bolt on the not rotted junk yard fresh from last year fenders and get ready for a scrap metal run.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Tonight I cleaned the replacement driver side inner fender and rattle canned over the crap on the passenger inner fender.

Driver

Passenger

Big difference. I guess I'll donate an hour of my life to completely strip that other fender as much of an asspain as it was. But tomorrow I still intend to seal both sides of the cab and get the outer fenders on for sure (until I find another obstacle). I also cleaned the front most bit of frame where the plow mounts will bolt to, I'll probably start with paint there tomorrow to give it a few hours to cure before smashing metal against it. With any luck I'll have this heap back out at the hangar by the weekend able to operate the plow so I can reach the spare 4L80/NP243 on the shelf. I want to pull the pan on that 4L80 and if it isn't full of mud slap it in the dually. The t-case is a viable spare for both the plow truck and my 1500 as they both rock the 32 spline input.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I donated said hour to the other fender and painted it last night.

Also hit the other with some rubberized undercoating and installed. It was a nice day and I'd wanted to treat the small bit of rust on the cab so I could then install the replacement outer fender but I experimented a technical difference in the process.

Seems it was too cold out and this 2 part epoxy primer didn't want to play ball. So I wiped it off and will try again with warmer conditions. This thing is too big to cram into my garage, so I think I'll take it to my friend's shop, get it up to 60 or so, and try again. Now for the bit of frame I can't reach with my angle grinder and knotted cup brush? I got this from Amazon.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0856QHK8H?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

And my passenger core support mount is bent down and has a torn weld. Should have snapped a pic of that. The factory welds sure are petite. I'll go over that and the tears in the frame down on the bottom where the layers come together by where the tow hooks go. I need that good and sturdy for when the plow goes on.

Last edited: