The New Frontier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've been looking for an excuse to leave this god forsaken state for quite a while now, and I've finally found it.
You must be registered for see images attach

It's called Lincoln Technical Institute of Denver Colorado.

I'm not going to get into all the details, but I'm taking the collision repair program (as well as my associates) which starts in September.

My my reason for telling you all of this is because I got to get my '98 Burb ready to drive this distance as well as last me for 19 months.

Not only that, but I'll be towing something all the way there as well.

Of course I have to bring my '51 Studebaker with me (of course on a tow dolly with the driveshaft removed).

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I leave in about 10 days, so I've been getting the truck ready to make the 1000 mile journey.

She just got a fresh oil change with some Valvoline 10w40.

It's the only car I own that I'm not running any additives or super thick oil in. After about 7,000 miles on the same oil, I only had to add 1/2 it quart once (this engine has to be newer than the rest of the truck).

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

When I bought this truck, it had a set of mismatched (no two tires were the same) 265-75-R16's on its stock wheels.

Instead of finding another set of 16's, I got this set of 31x10.5x15 Cooper Discoverer's for $75, then a set of trailer wheels to mount them on for $60.

Unfortunately these tires are about 7 years old, and have seen better days, so I got to get some new rubber before driving 1000 miles.

(You might be able to see the rubber debris on the lower quarter)
These tires still have some tread on them though, and I can't let it go to waste, so I started recycling them last week.

Hopefully I'll have all the tread recycled off these tires by the time I get the new ones.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love the quad headlight retrofit to the newer truck. I did the same to my 2500 'Burban. Best of luck with the tow dollying. I've been doing that for years, just anticipate your stopping distances are gonna be longer.
By the way, what brand of snow plow do you have? I dont recognize the frame...

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good on you for going back to school, and also departing this state, of which I am also a resident. (Not too far from you I believe) Safe travels, and work hard!

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
7 years old tires are still within their life span. I think they should make it no issues. Good luck. 1000 miles is not a crazy distance-I took my tahoe for a 1100 miles journey shortly after I bought her-just made sure all seals were ok and off I went. I put an lpg system in between journeys(propane) and drove around for another 500 miles before returning another 1100 miles. And all this in Europe,where if she had broken down, no mechanic would know where to put their hands in first-not to mention no parts off the shelf to be found lol. Btw nice Studebaker-a guy in Oxford had one like yours few years back-maybe he still has it tho I haven't passed by his house for a while.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great looking Burb. I would go easy on the "recycling" though. If you weaken a part doing the recycling you might find out about it on the trip!. Congrats on the new direction, new location and gettin' outta Dodge!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we lived in California, our son just graduated high school, we sent him to Wyotech, Laramie WY in 2003. We towed his 69 bug there and back for a project car (he still has it parked in his back yard :anitoof: ), too cold and snowy for him to drive it, ha ha. He's been out on his own for about 18 years now - love it! Good luck!

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love the quad headlight retrofit to the newer truck. I did the same to my 2500 'Burban. Best of luck with the tow dollying. I've been doing that for years, just anticipate your stopping distances are gonna be longer.
By the way, what brand of snow plow do you have? I dont recognize the frame...
This is the plow I have

(The mount came with the truck when I bought it)