The 'BurbBarian' build thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome, I have recently joined GMT400.com, I am 15 and i have a 1998 Chevy K2500 Suburban, 454 vortec, 4L80E, NP241 TC, 14BFF, 151,*** miles, custom 2.50" exhaust w/ glasspacks, it was my fathers truck before he passed away in 2013 due to a motorcycle accident along with my mother who was on the back of the bike, i am in search of more power and/or fuel efficiency, it will be my DD for high school and the will have it the rest of my life, i already know I'm going to hate gas bills, i have already considered a 12v cummins swap but I'm not 100% on it because i believe there has to be some more power to squeeze out, and i just don't have the funds to do the swap or tools available, any help in finding power will be appreciated.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to GMT400! Sorry to hear about your family :( I have a 2500 Suburban as well as a 1500 Suburban. Have you ever thought of doing an LS swap? Say a 6.0 or the 8.1? I would like to think a little less work involved as a cummins swap?

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My condolences to you and your family.

I have a 97 k2500 Suburban with the 454. I'm currently collecting parts and funds to do a 0411PCM swap and headers. Eventually I'd like to add a cam and a shift kit as well as electric fans and maybe even coil on plug.

The big block vortec's have some serious potential, check out the link below for some Dyno numbers from some basic changes.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I've even seen articles of 850hp with a turbo on a stock motor with a cam and intake.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/en...-to-add-more-power-your-mild-big-block-chevy/

I purchased a 2500 Suburban with the end goal being a 12 valve or Duramax swap but I've come to appreciate the simplicity and the smooth power of the big block. So far I'm getting 10mpg with a 6" lift and 35's with 4.10 gears which isn't too bad considering it is a 7300lb brick.

I haven't started a thread of my own yet but I'm pretty jealous of your Burbarian just by the name.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If you're 15, I would concentrate on keeping it running well, not modifying it. You don't need a money pit, you need something reliable. Also, I'd stick with the stock tire size for mileage.

If you want a big project that you can work on slowly and cut up and modify get another truck that's in kind rough shape and have at it. You'll have your dads Suburban as reliable transportation.... of course you'll need someplace to store and work on it.

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're 15, I would concentrate on keeping it running well, not modifying it. You don't need a money pit, you need something reliable. Also, I'd stick with the stock tire size for mileage.

If you want a big project that you can work on slowly and cut up and modify get another truck that's in kind rough shape and have at it. You'll have your dads Suburban as reliable transportation.... of course you'll need someplace to store and work on it.
I actually cannot argue with that idea, I like it, thanks 454cid.

You must be registered for see images attach

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to GMT400! Sorry to hear about your family :( I have a 2500 Suburban as well as a 1500 Suburban. Have you ever thought of doing an LS swap? Say a 6.0 or the 8.1? I would like to think a little less work involved as a cummins swap?
I have in fact thought of an 8.1 swap (the pics above are my suburban) thanks for the input so far guys.

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i realized i haven't given the full story yet, Back in 2013 we moved to colorado for 3 years, the truck was just sitting rotting away in the snow/other crazy weather so it does have some issues, then October 2016 we moved to southern Utah, in the desert, in the 110* degree heat, and sat for the last 2 years in the desert, so far what i know it needs and what we have already replaced is: (R=Replaced, N=Need to replace), R Fuel pump, R fuel filter, R spark plug wires (yes we made sure we did them correctly), R spark plugs, R windshield wipers, N tires, N windshield, N oil filter i need advice on this we tried to get it off with proper oil filter wrench then screwdriver and it won't budge has massive holes in it now, no clue what to do to get it off, N all fluids changed (already have rear diff and engine oil drained just need to do Trans and TC and front diff) if any one can help with any of these it will be appreciated, including diagrams of how to service them correctly and where to fill and how much to fill each powertrain component, need same type of diagrams for front/rear bushings, and anything i should look out for, Thanks for reading. EDIT: also need wheel/tire recommendations, i would like to run a rally type setup like this:

Last edited:

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

this is solid advice for anyone, including us older guys