The 'BurbBarian' build thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well she’s been on the road for a few months now and I have terrible news. After replacing my fuel pressure regulator I accidentally set the distributor one tooth too far forward on my ignition timing which caused early ignition. And well.. short story.. she predetonated in the cylinder and now she’s a rod knocking 454.. I’m not happy with this news and I’m honestly quite down about it. I cannot have the downtime of rebuilding both the 454 and the 4l80-e (trans has been giving me many problems Recently and I can’t seem to fix without a rebuild) I’ve been having thoughts of buying a known good Vortec 350 and swapping that in and from the little research I’ve done I know it’s going to be a hassle to complete. I am thinking of a 350 because it’s gonna sip gas just a tiny bit less and there are readily available parts everywhere for these things. And I can’t find/afford a locally sourced good 454 whatsoever. I know I need to swap my enginebay wiring harness because the 350 has 1 knock sensor instead of the 2 on the 454 harness. Swap possibly the torque converter and my fuel lines from about the fuel filter forward to adapt to the 350 spider fuel injection. I’d really like your guy’s help and expertise with this thought anything you mention besides what I’ve already said will be helpful.

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your gonna go 350, maybe go LS instead? Parts are just as readily available , the 5.3 is a little bit smaller and just as much power.
While I do like that.. if I had the funds I’d go either Cummins or LS. But due to lack of funds and time I’m trying to figure if a small block will work for my dire situation.

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good hell. I just realized how bad I wanna fix this thing. I considered deleting all of my Vortec fancy stuff and throwing a TBI 350 with a few fancy items on it in the BurbBarian (Edit: I would essentially make it a 1995 model year rig. Tbi motor + 95 newer dash.)